Annealing question

Redmt

This may be a dumb question but do you anneal cases before or after sizing? I can see reasons for both. My guess is before therefore it's probably after.

In that instance, I would anneal after your final size. Let all the work hardening happen, then relax the material.
I’ve done that on necking 243 to 308 and ‘06 to 270. Though if the 6.5 is unknown then I would anneal when sorting dirty prior to size. Because there’s just some can’t be saved.

If it’s new brass I wouldn’t anneal before sizing. Generally I look at annealing as something that helps the brass be ductile for the sizing process so it’s always been before.

Its best to anneal before sizing, it helps reduce the brass springing back when sized. When I've done big conversions like 6.5cm to 8.6blk, I cut the brass close to final length, then anneal and size. If I annealed before cutting it would be tough to anneal the right area.

I see no reason for annealing
I’ve done many many tests over the years on multiple calibers and literally thousands of rounds down range.

Results I came to have no scientific basis. My results were based on bullet holes in paper at various distances and longevity of brass.

1: All brass is not the same. Even different lot numbers of same manufacturer of brass can vary.
2: Brass varies in wall thickness which varies its powder capacity and pressure capability and limits.
3: Brass varies in hardness and malleability - THIS is the most important variable.
4: The most effect that annealing has is it definitely will prolong brass life plus it provides more uniform neck tension on the bullet which shows up on bullet hole accuracy on paper. It will practically eliminate memory spring back on brass that has been reloaded multiple times.

If you don’t reload brass multiple times, shoot and test at distance, or push the pressure limit on a cartridge then I could justify not annealing.

Saying that all new brass has been annealed is like saying all new vehicles never have a problem. Years ago I had a couple of ammo manufacturers as clients and at that time there was a criteria for annealing brass based on the lot of brass being run at that time. Not all new brass is annealed.

I would always anneal brass if I was reforming to a different caliber than the original brass was intended.

Bottom line is annealing has merit. Question is does everyone need it for how they use the ammo. There is no yes or no answer - to each his own. It’s like asking multiple people how often do you need to clean a rifle.

"I would always anneal brass if I was reforming to a different caliber than the original brass was intended."
Before or after? It seems that before would soften the brass to it's original state if reforming used brass.

I see no reason for annealing

I have found this to be true. After decades of shooting a lot and reloading 10’s of thousands of rounds, I haven’t seen any need. There are 10’s of thousands of loaded ammunition with all of it reloaded from 2-20+ times. If a neck cracks I throw it out. In all that time, I doubt I’ve tossed more than 100 brass…

IMG_4447.jpeg

"I would always anneal brass if I was reforming to a different caliber than the original brass was intended."
Before or after? It seems that before would soften the brass to it's original state if reforming used brass.
Always before.

If you’re using high quality alpha brass such as ADG, Pedersen, Lapua etc you may not have to anneal because they obviously have much better quality control and I’d feel more comfortable that it came quality annealed - which you pay for in the price of their product.

If you’re using standard mass produced - maybe 2nd source brass - such as Win., Fed., Rem. Etc I’d anneal before reforming. I’d also always anneal if the brass has been fired before you resize to reform dimensions. A lot will depend on how drastic the reform is. I’ve reformed brass so drastic that you could not do it in one step.. Don’t try that without annealing.

I’m not a bible beater on this subject. To each his own. I refuse to get in a pizzing contest with anyone - go do what you have the time, money, energy or desire to do. I know what works for my equipment, shooting capability, and the brass I use to get the results that I feel comfortable with.

If you want to send me a PM with the details you are questioning please feel free to PM me and we’ll take this off line.

I wish you well in your endeavor.

I have never shot enough rounds to worry about annealing. If I get 4-5 loads before a primer pocket opens up, I'm happy. any cracked necks, etc, get the heave ho. I try to shoot two or three rifles so I still get plenty of trigger time. I've also never done any drastic case forming. I have necked down, necked up, blown out but still no issues. Love it !

I anneal my brass because I want it to last as many rounds as possible, especially when good brass for some cartridges is hard to find. Like most others have stated, I always anneal and then size.
Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back