And yet anther hobby....

dcopas78

My wife says I'm as varied as the wind direction...I say I simply can't sit still or stay inside too long! Anyways, my son wanted a metal detector for Christmas because he saw someone on YouTube find something cool with one. I broke out my old one and started poking around the yard off our 100 year old house. I started finding some old wheat pennies, and other cool things. Next thing you know, I'm investing in a top-of-the-line detector. I've been bitten hard, and it fills the time nicely between hunting seasons. Since creek fishing is tough because of heavy rains, high water anymore, I can see myself doing more of this in the spring and summer. Here are some of my finds so far.....
20210503_195823.jpg
20210503_195813.jpg
1893 Barber quarter
20210412_211126_001.jpg20210412_211141.jpg
1841 large cent
20210309_200637.jpg
WW1 lieutenant bar
20210330_083828.jpg
Buffalo and war nickle
20210405_202816.jpg
Mercury dime
20210424_183856.jpg
Civil War era infantry coat button

Some pretty good finds. Every spring there is a guy with a metal detector checking the same spot in a farm field at the end of the road where I grew up. Been doing at least 20 years. Makes you wonder what hes lookin for.

Do you have any naturally occurring gold around? Over here a person can find a gold bearing stream, ancient river channels, etc with bedrock and run a metal detector over the crevices. These crevices can trap placer gold at the bottom, also lead fishing weights and other metals.

Cool. Never seen a mercury dime before. Interesting finds for sure.
They minted 1916-1945 when they were replaced by the roosevelt dime. "Mercury" comes from the winged hat liberty is wearing that makes her look like the Roman god Mercury.

Do you have any naturally occurring gold around? Over here a person can find a gold bearing stream, ancient river channels, etc with bedrock and run a metal detector over the crevices. These crevices can trap placer gold at the bottom, also lead fishing weights and other metals.
There is some very, very fine gold in a few creeks around here but I don't think anyone has ever found anything larger than "dust" lol. One of dad's friends ran a small plant all summer on a creek on his property one year and mined a little over an ounce. It was a heck of a lot of work for that ounce though.

Looks like fun, how deep into the ground is it typical for you to find those items?
Usually around 4-6" but I've found coins nearly a foot deep. Age doesn't seem to be a factor either. I've found newer clad dimes at 7-8" and found wheat pennies from the early 1900s at 2" below surface. It is very addicting once you start to learn how to use the detector properly.

dcopas78, I also metal detect and have for 25+ years. Great hobby for sure. And the feeling of a shiny silver coin coming out fills the void from the off season for hunting and fishing.
Not sure if you checked, but take a look at the back of that buffalo head nickel. The 1937, had an anomoly, on some of them struck. If the buffalo has only 3 legs instead of 4, your holding a pretty valuable coin...........good luck!

dcopas78, I also metal detect and have for 25+ years. Great hobby for sure. And the feeling of a shiny silver coin coming out fills the void from the off season for hunting and fishing.
Not sure if you checked, but take a look at the back of that buffalo head nickel. The 1937, had an anomoly, on some of them struck. If the buffalo has only 3 legs instead of 4, your holding a pretty valuable coin...........good luck!
Yeah, that is the first thing I did when I saw the '37 😆 It is just a regular 4 leg version though.

My wife says I'm as varied as the wind direction...I say I simply can't sit still or stay inside too long! Anyways, my son wanted a metal detector for Christmas because he saw someone on YouTube find something cool with one. I broke out my old one and started poking around the yard off our 100 year old house. I started finding some old wheat pennies, and other cool things. Next thing you know, I'm investing in a top-of-the-line detector. I've been bitten hard, and it fills the time nicely between hunting seasons. Since creek fishing is tough because of heavy rains, high water anymore, I can see myself doing more of this in the spring and summer. Here are some of my finds so far.....
View attachment 183253
View attachment 183252
1893 Barber quarter
View attachment 183254View attachment 183255
1841 large cent
View attachment 183256
WW1 lieutenant bar
View attachment 183257
Buffalo and war nickle
View attachment 183258
Mercury dime
View attachment 183259
Civil War era infantry coat button
When locating old coins, DO NOT clean them! It destroys their collectability.
Take it to a high quality coin shop or collector for advice.

I got one because once fired brass became so precious that I got tired of not finding every piece of it at the range. Along the way I've found a few other things.

[/QUOTE

Only thing I do is wash dirt of the silvers and brush dirt off coppers with a soft brush. But I could care less about resell cause I'll never get rid of them.

There are a few old... one almost un-noticable, small structures I've come across during hunt endeavors that I'd love to pack a metal detector to check out.
Damn dcopas... now I'm going to have to "lose" a purchased necklace I must have dropped in the yard that I can not find. Buy a detector? Great idea! - pipe dream... My wife is far too smart!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back