PEAX Equipment

And so it starts

D4570

4" of snow calling for -20* in two days and I saw "GOPHERS"!
Prairie dogs don't hibernate like gophers, they don't come out in blizzards but are out all year on sunny days even in 4 feet of snow.
Gophers go down when it gets dry and the food is gone, normally mid-September. It is no surprise for them to start showing "UP" after the first of the year.
So actually there a bit late and will be very active in mid-March. It just looks stupid.
I have read it's last year's yearling male that gets up first to start claiming their homestead. Then the big males try to run them off when they get up. The Females are the last to come out, with their pups.
city gophers come up first and go "Down" latest, more food and such in town I guess.
We have been in a very low ebb in their cycle of life, I'm sure our intense drought is not helping.
I'm going to try shooting them with my new Ruger 45 colt...

Gophers are a great way to practice marksmanship. Eager to get the .17hmr after them once the snow melts.

I saw a fuggn mosquitoe yesterday. It's about 2 months early. We've had a weird cold, warn, wet winter. Almost a month of subzero, tons of snow, rain etc now going to above freezing all week.

I saw a fuggn mosquitoe yesterday. It's about 2 months early. We've had a weird cold, warn, wet winter. Almost a month of subzero, tons of snow, rain etc now going to above freezing all week.
Good! Maybe it will melt some of the snow off my roof! Sounds like another foot or more coming tomorrow. Ugh...

Good! Maybe it will melt some of the snow off my roof! Sounds like another foot or more coming tomorrow. Ugh...
It's not melting anytime soon up there, at best it will just make a bigger layer of ice and ice dam on the roof. Snow is way deep up your way. There is 11feet of snow on the ground at Alpine Creek Lodge, at the middle of the Denali highway. That's about 6 feet more than normal.

Back