Anchorage bullets

the nikster

Hey hunters,

I'll be going to Ak in 3 weeks and prefer to buy a couple boxes of ammo there. Who might I call in ANC to find 7mm rem mag shells in the 150 gr.slot. (Federal Premium of course):hump:. As well as others.

I'm packing my bullets. It seems to be to risky to hope that they might have the exact bullets you would need. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I know in Fairbanks they have a Sportsmans Warehouse. I would assume that Anc. would have something similar or even a Walmart. Good Luck.

Lawnboy,
Normally I do pack them with me. I shipped everything but food to my air taxi this weekend and now I only need to take my rifle as luggage when I fly. (I will purchase food items there). I have to have my bullets in a separate bag if they fly too. I just don't want to pay for another bag.
I thought I might be able to call ahead and confirm supply prior to my arrival-otherwise I'll just have to bring another bag.

Nick,
I live in ANC and can pick some up for you (if they have some). I will be flying out with the same transporter you are using on the 20th of Aug. Are you flying in before or after me?

If it is after I can leave them up there with your stuff, if you fly out before we can meet up and I'll give you the bullets.

Ernesto

sportsmans whorehouse, Mountain View sports, fred myer, walmart, the ten million gun shops in Anchorage. Somewhere should have 7 mag ammo.

But I'd just bring it yourself. I fly alaska all the time with the ammo in the gun case. Just has to be in a factory box, including the plastic holders. They usually check the ammo box and tape it shut for me. But tsa has never once made me put the ammo in a separate bag.

If you need it picked up, and ernesto can't help, shoot me a message. I'll be in town.

Really?

ammo and the rifle in the same case?
I'd better do more checking.
I leave for the field on the 30th. I appreciate the offers to help and may yet use your services. First I'll check into this 'together' option.

Thanks folks.

Yes ammo in gun in the same case. Here is ak airlines rules.

Firearms / Shooting Equipment

The following items may be included in your normal baggage allowance. Excess charges will apply for additional pieces of baggage. All items must be suitably packaged for transport.

* Shooting Equipment
1. One rifle case with rifles, scopes, one shooting mat, noise suppressors and small tools, or
2. One shotgun case with shotguns, or
3. One pistol case with pistols, noise suppressors, one pistol telescope and small pistol tools
* Ammunition—up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked, if securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/help/faqs/SportRelatedItems.asp

I brought home a couple rifles a few weeks ago on Alaska.. ammo was in case, no problem.

One thing I noticed in all my time of traveling the last 10 years and 25+/- trips with rifles on airplanes... no one behind the counter has a fuggn clue what the rules are. I've only had one instance where I needed a supervisor, otherwise the ticket agent took my word for it sign the card, lock it up and away we go. Print off their rules and regulations and bring it with you in case you need to show them what thier own rules are.

I believe that TSA allows you to have them in the case or in your checked luggage, so its really up to the carrier to make the ultimate call. Once you check in your bags, the only people who would/could inspect them are TSA.

TSA did inspect my ammo once, I had a single 10 round plastic holder that comes in factory ammo floating around in my bag. They put duct tape over it so it so they wouldn't fall out.

Good luck on your hunt. I'd offer to help, but I'm sure the two WY boys will find you the 30-06 ammo you're looking for. ;) That and I'll be sheep hunting...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back