Amok Draumr camping hammock

I can't answer much on the hammock. My buddy bought a Nube and loves it. We were camping at about 9000ft for archery last fall and he had a pad and my 30 degree down bag under him and froze with temp of about 30 degrees. Found him in the truck the next morning. I think if you are going with a hammock, make sure you get the nice big down underquilt for it.

I have the insulated klymit static V and love it. It is the most comfortable pad I have ever used, I'm mostly a side sleeper and my hips and shoulder don't dig into the ground with this pad (I'm 225lbs). It packs down into about the size of a nalgene, takes about 12-15 breaths to inflate.

Those are interesting. I am a hammock camper every chance I get. I didn't see a price on the Amok but t have about 130 bucks into my hammock, tarp, bug net, and under quilt. I use a down sleeping bag as a top quilt. Most of the gear is easy to make although a sewing machine is needed for just about everything but the hammock itself.

Pads suck in hammocks and I don't think that would change in the Amok. Nearly every gathered end hammock doubles as a chair so that isn't anything special or the Amok.

Hammock camping is more complicated than camping on the ground but once you have your gear dialed in it is way more comfortable. Some hammock campers have slept in -20 and -30 degree temps.

Patrick

After this trip into the Durfees to document the fence, even though there was a base camp at the far southern end, I would have rather stopped for the evening where I left off documenting, picked up documenting the next morning, rather than hike back to base camp, limiting what I could get done. But doing all the documenting, I wouldnt want my Kelty pack frame on my back with a ton of gear the whole time. So I began thinking one person, very light gear, since I have some invitations to do this documenting on other locations this spring.

I am a low maintenance person and like gear to do multiple functions, good quality gear. What I have has always been gear that was for multiple people, which adds more bulk and weight. I have been reading through some of the gear threads here since fall, to add to the research, then this Amok came up on my feed this morning and that got me to thinking about a hammock - less weight and bulk with poles and stakes.

WyOptiz, thanks for the link on the Nube'. That was a good reference and design, I like the winter barrier and that is only a little over a lb more in weight. I have a down bag with a great rating and use a thin pashmir wool liner. In below freezing I have been fine and cheated a few times by adding a body warmer pack to the midsection, which actually got too warm. I want the Klymit to add to my gear anyway.

Patrick, that is a good thought about making it. I have made a lot of my gear in the past, have an old castiron singer leather treadle machine that I have used. I still have alot of the cord locks, gear buckles, a supply of carabiners. I may figure out material costs, time and see which route might be better, but I want as little as possible bulk and weight walking around documenting for days at a time and our nights can get bloody cold here in MT.

If you haven't already, check out https://www.hammockforums.net

Generally, a hammock and the associated gear necessary to deal with the unpredictable Montana weather weighs about the same as a light to ultralight ground setup.

Like everything else, the lighter you want to go the more money it costs.

Patrick

If you haven't already, check out https://www.hammockforums.net

Generally, a hammock and the associated gear necessary to deal with the unpredictable Montana weather weighs about the same as a light to ultralight ground setup.

Like everything else, the lighter you want to go the more money it costs.

Patrick

lol, doing an image search I ended up there and was sidetracked in the homemade gear section of the gallery after reading through some of the forum. :)

I have never used a hammock and I spend a bit of time in the Cabinets where finding a flat spot can be near impossible to find in a few areas.

Anyone know the cost of the amok?

If you use the pad and sleeping bag you already have you can probably buy a hammock and tarp for under 100 bucks.

The only problem I have run into is the large amount of beetle kill where I hunt. Finding somewhere to safely hang can be an issue.

Patrick

Looks to be $379.

I was just going to post this link that did a review and mentioned the price for US. Im liking this website for information and their cartoons crack me up.

After WyOpitz comment on his friend...

hammock-cold-butt-syndrome2.png

I checked for their review of the Nube and it is upcoming.

If you use the pad and sleeping bag you already have you can probably buy a hammock and tarp for under 100 bucks.

The only problem I have run into is the large amount of beetle kill where I hunt. Finding somewhere to safely hang can be an issue.

Patrick

But will the other hammocks work for a side/stomach sleeper? Because of this, the Amok appeals to me.

I have family (in laws) in Norway but no one lives close enough to the company to pay them a visit.

But will the other hammocks work for a side/stomach sleeper? Because of this, the Amok appeals to me.

I have family (in laws) in Norway but no one lives close enough to the company to pay them a visit.

I spend all night on my stomach at home but it has never been an issue for me in a hammock.

I am not bashing the Amok hammock. It seems like a great idea and I have only read good things about the quality of the workmanship. Some people have issues sliding down into the foot box if they are pushing the weight limit of the hammock. It just seems expensive to me once you add a decent pad. The supplied tarp seems a little small for Montana where the rain usually comes down sideways, so that would probably need to be upgraded to a larger tarp.

Patrick

Last edited:
Fair Chase, looking through reviews, I came across several that spoke to the side and stomach sleeping and the terrain issues, one was a video from a hunter.

Roe Hunting Resources video

Patrick, I was thinking the same thing about the tarp, I like the one on the Nube better, but a larger tarp is easier enough to make and silicon.

Last edited:
It is available for presale with delivery May 1.

I am on the fence at the moment.

Wonder if the tarp is large enough or order wo/tarp and use a larger one?

Fair Chase, from the email I received, they stated:

We learned a lot from last year's feedback. We can assure you that Amok Draumr 2.0 is:
- of even higher quality!
(improved fabrics, carabiners, construction)
- more user friendly!
- keeping you dry in harsher conditions (bigger tarp)!
- better looking!

Here is the page listing the tarp specifications - the length of the tarp is 65", 106" at the widest rear and 77" widest front.

Personally, I like the hammock, but want to construct my own tarp to include sides that can be staked, to keep me and my gear protected better. Glad they came out with a green.

I am going to buy a green one without tarp, but it will have to be a bit. I want to get all the medical taken care of from the concussion first, have some EEG tests this week (another bill) for cognitive therapy. I dont like debt.

I am a side and stomach sleeper, actually roll, so this appeals to me, that and everything all attached for set up, for a quick camp situation. Once I get it, I will see about how I can borg it for the places that may not have trees, maybe with some fiberglass tent poles. I expect that is going to take some experimentation.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back