Ammo storage

Green 50 cal metal ammo cans. Watertight, and I put dessicant in each one. I store my primers in them also. I mark them with the contents, and they stack really well.

My Granddaughter busted my chops the other day about all the MTM boxes of ammo in the gun safe. She learned in Hunter's Ed that guns and powder should not be stored together.
I guess I need to get an ammo safe.
I read from one of the powder makers that powder cans are safe even in a house fire so long as they are not in any kind of containment vessel. I.E. if there is no pressure there is a flash of heat, but not an explosion. I wish I could find the article today.
I store my powder and primers in a grey metal cabinet about 30' from my bench. I bring out what I need for that session, and then I put it away. It's enough effort that I take the time to pack up the powder I have at the bench and take it with me before I bring out another powder.

Pop drilled me as a kid that if you never go back to the work truck empty handed, by the end of the day you don't have to spend 30 minutes carrying stuff out to the truck. Its stuck with me.

I also put finished ammo in factory ammo boxes I've picked from littering slobs at the range. Then I put a label on with my load data. I use G.I. Ammo cans In a short term pinch, peanut butter jars, you name it.

You can often go a size smaller on the MTM slip cases if you use them upside down. As an example, Belted Magnums are supposed to go int the MTM "J-20 LLD" slip case. This allows you to put the rounds in the divided base oriented rim down. But you can put them bullet down in the MTM J-series .30-'06 sized box base. Then you flip the closed box rim down to store it. One real advantage to this is when you pick it up, the top doesn't slide off and dump your ammo.

Metal ammo cans. Last year Costco was selling a 50 Cal can with a 30 Cal can inside for around $16 if I recall correctly. I haven't seen them yet this year, but maybe they will be back around mid summer/fall.

I also have a couple of "fat 50" Cal ammo cans and some 40mm cans (works great for shotgun shells).

My house flooded one year and all my ammo was under water for almost a whole day. my ammo at that time was stored in wooden crates and while it did all shoot fine, I said never again.

PS: if you go to Costco looking for ammo cans (or anywhere for that matter), make sure they seal and latch good. And don't store your powder in them as mentioned above.

Metal ammo cans. Last year Costco was selling a 50 Cal can with a 30 Cal can inside for around $16 if I recall correctly. I haven't seen them yet this year, but maybe they will be back around mid summer/fall.

I also have a couple of "fat 50" Cal ammo cans and some 40mm cans (works great for shotgun shells).

My house flooded one year and all my ammo was under water for almost a whole day. my ammo at that time was stored in wooden crates and while it did all shoot fine, I said never again.

PS: if you go to Costco looking for ammo cans (or anywhere for that matter), make sure they seal and latch good. And don't store your powder in them as mentioned above.
Sam's Club had the same deal, I bought a bunch. Hopefully they'll have them again and I'll pick up a few more.

I have one of those giant plastic storage bins, which I have padlocks on. It's in my basement. The guns are in a safe in my bedroom. I try to be fairly conservative with three young sons in the house.

No matter where you store your primers or ammo, look into the dessicant packs to put in each container. I use the rechargeable models (larger ones plug in and recharge in 8 hours) and smaller ones recharge in the oven. Use them over and over.

The ones I use are from Midway USA: Large ones for gun safe, Midway # 287760 $17.99 (plug in to recharge), I have three in my gunsafe. Smaller ones for ammo/primer cans Midway # 799452 for $7.99 (I have a bunch) These recharge by putting in the oven. They are available elsewhere, possibly on sale for less $$.

Green 50 cal metal ammo cans. Watertight, and I put dessicant in each one. I store my primers in them also. I mark them with the contents, and they stack really well.

Bomb. Primers and powder should be stored in a container designed to fail.

My powder and primers are all stored in plastic totes.

Ammo is stored in magazines (AR15) and MTM boxes, or original factory boxes in plastic totes.

Bomb. Primers and powder should be stored in a container designed to fail.

My powder and primers are all stored in plastic totes.

Ammo is stored in magazines (AR15) and MTM boxes, or original factory boxes in plastic totes.
I store my primers in them, but never any powder. I thought about plastic containers for primers, but was concerned about static electricity caused by the plastic, building up and resulting in an explosion. Like the article I read about NOT using a plastic primer tray, due to static electricity causing them to go off. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back