Caribou Gear Tarp

Alice pack and frame

174in

Been looking for a pack to haul meat in and dont have alot of money to spend on a pack that I will not use often and I thought maybe an army alice pack frame and pack would work for this.anyone ever use one? Will they work better than a non frame pack for packing out game?It would be something that would stay in the truck until I have something down.

I've used an alice pack before. It wasn't very comfortable for me. But I didn't know squat about adjusting a pack then either. I'm sure there are others who will have a little more info.

IMO, I would go with a good to decent internal frame pack. For me they are much more comfortable than an external frame, or at least the ones I've owned have been. There are many a good pack maker and they don't have to be from a 'hunting' pack company. Give your price range and I am sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

That said, I don't think I would consider the money spent on a Mystery Ranch or Kifaru as money wasted. I have used the latter for over 5 years with few complaints.

Depends on what "alot" of money is. The Cabelas Alaskan pack frame is $99. I keep that frame in my truck and use it after the 1st load out. Extemely comfortable and you can really load it up if needed. You can buy the pack to go with it as a bonus.

Good luck.

I upgraded my alice pack with shoulder straps and waist belt off a newer model army pack. They make it more comfortable, but it is still not pleasant to carry a load with. If I had money for a new one I would get something else.

I used to use an ALICE pack frame and pack to haul landscape rocks out of excavations. It was a very heavy load, but a short distance. I did it because the packs were cheap and rocks are hard on them. I am too tall for an ALICE pack frame or a MOLLE pack frame, but the MOLLE frame has load lifter straps and distributes the load much better than the ALICE. I hurt my back about a month ago and needed to haul some 50 lb dog food bags too the barn because it was too soft to drive there. I put the bags on a MOLLE pack frame (one at a time) and carried them to the barn. I was amazed at how little effort was required, because of the fit and the load lifters. It was putting the load below the part of my back that was hurting. After that, I started packing dog food up and down the road to strengthen my back. A lot of people don't like the MOLLE frame, because it's plastic, but it works well enough if you don't abuse it. You should be able to find a generation 4 MOLLE frame with straps for less than $50 on ebay. The older generation frames are not as good.

I'm in the process of welding two ALICE pack frames together to make a longer frame, which I will adapt to MOLLE shoulder straps and waist belt. It will be interesting to see how it works and with about $50 invested in it. Why would I do this? Beats me, I just want to.

The ALICE pack can and does carry a lot of stuff, especially if you have boned out the meat, although you could put a leg in there if you wanted. The frame on the other hand is a back breaker. I would suggest getting a decent external frame and putting the ALICE pack on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back