Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alaska Sheep

ThunderNocked

Well ... looks like I'll be for sure in the mountains this year.
With numbers low I was debating doing something else but I drew one of the better tags in Alaska and I know a few guys who have gone in on the hunt. Hopefully there are still some big rams back up in there.
Looking at Late season - mostly hunting in early September - DS204 Delta.
Time to drop pounds, check gear again, and start getting after it!

Edit: Still chasing that first sheep!

Congrats on your Delta permit.
I was lucky to get it twice in 30 years.
My final sheep hunt was a Sept. Delta hunt.
It was my final one because my sheep hunting partner for 30 years,
aged out (70 years) but we were successful.
We flew in.
But that was over a decade ago when the ram population was higher.
PM me if your interested in flying in with a transporter.

Congrats on your Delta permit.
I was lucky to get it twice in 30 years.
My final sheep hunt was a Sept. Delta hunt.
It was my final one because my sheep hunting partner for 30 years,
aged out (70 years) but we were successful.
We flew in.
But that was over a decade ago when the ram population was higher.
PM me if your interested in flying in with a transporter.
thats awesome, and glad you guys were able to get that last one!
This will be my third attempt at my first. I'll have to see how it goes, put in some work and put in the time and effort.
Also need to start looking at a lot more Ram Pictures!

Good luck. Keep us updated!
First - back to the gym until breakup (winters end)
Second - I have a few holes in my gear: Spotting Scope, Puffy Pant, Glove, Phone Adapter and I'm worried about my 5-6 year old sleeping bag.
Third - I made an Google Sheet online that I have been tracking and updating since my first sheep hunt in 2020. Need to look at my food plan as I took way too much last time and I need to see what gear I marked as unused and review that
Fourth - LOTS OF SHOOTING. My rifle will out shoot me but I need to spend a lot of time with my various rifles and do as much shooting as possible.
Fifth - maps and talk to those who have been there and can give me insight and pointers!

LETS GO!
6 months to go and a handful of days to go.

Down 10 pounds but kinda hit a plateau - am hitting the gym and retoning muscles which are obviously heavier but need to start hitting the pack and going for it. It hit 40 the last couple days so we are almost there. Time to start slogging the pack around on top of hitting the gym.

I know that building muscles wont help with the sheep hunt as much, but need some strength to climb and building muscles will help burn more fat meaning more weight loss. But not trying to bulk up. :D

For me, hiking the hills close to home with my pack at 40lbs was my best simulated exercise. I wish at the end I would have gone to 60lbs, which was more like I was carrying on the hunt.
Keep after it TN, you lucky dog.

I have a question for this group of sheep fanatics. I am an Alaska nonresident and I have a hunt booked in 19c that is on hold due to the unit being closed to nonresidents. Does anyone have any intel on whether or not this unit will open up again to nonresidents?

I have a question for this group of sheep fanatics. I am an Alaska nonresident and I have a hunt booked in 19c that is on hold due to the unit being closed to nonresidents. Does anyone have any intel on whether or not this unit will open up again to nonresidents?
Looking at Board of Fish Report I do not believe it is going to be reopened but they have pushed it back to the Full Alaska Fish and Game meeting in January I believe if I read that correctly.

I believe it was a five year closer for me so I think it will be opened back up in 2027

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back