Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Alaska newbie

mxracer317

Listening to Randy’s podcast on Alaska... I’m in!

... except I’m a total rookie with how things work up there.

My understanding is that if i put in for a limited entry and draw (moose, caribou, etc), that i don’t have to go the year I draw if I don’t buy a “lock tag(?)”

I really wanna go with some buddies, but don’t wanna go alone. So if I draw and they don’t, can I push the tag off and take it the following year?

Listening to Randy’s podcast on Alaska... I’m in!

... except I’m a total rookie with how things work up there.

My understanding is that if i put in for a limited entry and draw (moose, caribou, etc), that i don’t have to go the year I draw if I don’t buy a “lock tag(?)”

I really wanna go with some buddies, but don’t wanna go alone. So if I draw and they don’t, can I push the tag off and take it the following year?
Nope. If you draw, you don’t have to buy the tag if you end up changing plans. But you can’t defer a drawn tag until a later date. Apply with your buddies as a party if you want to do it with them or not at all.

Nope. If you draw, you don’t have to buy the tag if you end up changing plans. But you can’t defer a drawn tag until a later date. Apply with your buddies as a party if you want to do it with them or not at all.
Thanks!!

Say i go for something less physically demanding to bring out of the field (ie, Sitka deer), is that something that’s doable to do alone? Or is the wildlife / terrain smarter to do with buddies in AK for safety reasons?

I know, total newbie questions... just trying to be realistic about what to expect.

Thanks!!

Say i go for something less physically demanding to bring out of the field (ie, Sitka deer), is that something that’s doable to do alone? Or is the wildlife / terrain smarter to do with buddies in AK for safety reasons?

I know, total newbie questions... just trying to be realistic about what to expect.
Well, I’m no Alaska expert by any means (only hunted there 3 times), but I think my answer is: it depends. For example, I think a hunt on POW for black bear or Sitka deer off the road system is totally doable for a solo hunter. Realistically, though, I think the vast majority of Alaska hunts would be a tall order for most guys/gals coming north for the first time. Even that Sitka blacktail hunt in September is gonna be way, way tougher to do alone than a blacktail hunt in the rut off the road system. Just so many variables in AK.

What's your experience level? Have you done any solo western hunts? AK is similar but costs about 3x as much, and logistics are a little harder.

Well, I’m no Alaska expert by any means (only hunted there 3 times), but I think my answer is: it depends. For example, I think a hunt on POW for black bear or Sitka deer off the road system is totally doable for a solo hunter. Realistically, though, I think the vast majority of Alaska hunts would be a tall order for most guys/gals coming north for the first time. Even that Sitka blacktail hunt in September is gonna be way, way tougher to do alone than a blacktail hunt in the rut off the road system. Just so many variables in AK.
POW?

What's your experience level? Have you done any solo western hunts? AK is similar but costs about 3x as much, and logistics are a little harder.
I’ve done western solo hunts for elk, deer and antelope... but am familiar with the terrain. Being in the last frontier alone is slightly concerning. Not gonna lie. 😂

If you have to ask if its "doable solo", you probably shouldn't do it.

If you have to ask if its "doable solo", you probably shouldn't do it.
Perhaps. But where is the personal growth in not taking on bigger challenges? It’s what fuels me as a living being and hunter. Just want to be smart about personal progression. 😉

Let me know how the solo trip goes. Then we will talk about your "personal growth".

You come across as very green for Alaska solo hunting, by the questions you ask and the questions you have asked. Other than that, I dont care.

You come across as very green for Alaska solo hunting, by the questions you ask and the questions you have asked. Other than that, I dont care.
Hence the title, Alaska Newbie. Thanks for taking an interest, m’dude.

I’ve done western solo hunts for elk, deer and antelope... but am familiar with the terrain. Being in the last frontier alone is slightly concerning. Not gonna lie. 😂
Meh. Its not that daunting especially if you are thinking a deer/bear hunt off the road system. POW isn't really that remote, and to be honest probably has more miles of road than the rest of the state combined. Unless you boat or fly in its a novice hunt, with medium level logistics, IMO. My medium is probably a little higher than most. The vegetation is thick, its wet, but cell phones work for a lot of the island, and there are people around. No brown bears. Me going there to hunt from here in AK is really not a lot different than me going to CO or MT to hunt. If you've never flown commercially somewhere and then hunted from there, you will learn a lot. I've probably done 30 trips via commercial flights and then ground transport. Its not hard, but takes a little planning.

SE is wet as hell in the fall, and I doubt its like anything you've ever hunted. They get like 12-15 inches of rain a month, most of the West gets that in a year. SE is the most beautiful miserable place on the planet. One day the sun is shining and it doesn't get any better, the next you are soaked to the bone in 33 degree temps. Its not the kind of weather you want to test out your gear unless you have a place to stay, and you need to be smart about your decisions. You don't need $5000 worth of rain gear, but you have to be smart enough to know you're getting wet and need to get dried out.

Alaska is a big place with lots of diverse terrain and some ridiculous logistics to make things happen. There are easy hunts, and there are difficult hunts logistically. Neither is really any "better" than the other. I've had some incredible hunts within sight of the highway, and have had some crappy ones 50 miles from the nearest town/road.

I would suggest you pick up a copy of the regulations and read them a few times, and then pick up the last draw supplement (applications are due tomorrow). You might need to apply now to hunt this fall or next spring as a NR, I don't know and don't keep up on NR regs, but I would check if that's your plan. There are a number of books out there to read as well.

To be honest, I couldn't imagine going on a solo hunt, just to go. Logistics would be pretty taxing. Lugging all that gear by yourself through the airport, to the ferry, etc. At least with two guys you can split it. Its doable, but it wouldn't be very fun IMO.

Good luck on your adventure.

Hell yeah, brotha! Thank you for taking the time for that incredible write up. This is the good stuff that i was looking for!

Yep, I’d really love to do it with my buddies and NOT solo at all costs. That’s why i was trying to understand that lock tag concept and some user experiences that would lend to my understanding.

Rock solid info. Thank you again.

I was kind of in your same boat of wanting to get into hunting in Alaska but having to learn the ropes. Ultimately my group booked a blacktail hunt on Kodiak with a transporter and we went in mid-November. We learned a LOT about Alaska as well as the logistics of hunting there all while kind of having the safety blanket of a transporter with a lot of local knowledge. We will not go with a transporter or guide next time but the experience was great and the little extra money we spent doing it that way was well spent with the knowledge we gained for future trips. I would suggest something like that for a first Alaskan trip and expand to whatever you are comfortable with next time. Alaska is a BIG place and the only way to fix a problem there is to throw money and time at it. if you don't have extra of either one, it is probably not the place to hunt.

Hell yeah, brotha! Thank you for taking the time for that incredible write up. This is the good stuff that i was looking for!

Yep, I’d really love to do it with my buddies and NOT solo at all costs. That’s why i was trying to understand that lock tag concept and some user experiences that would lend to my understanding.

Rock solid info. Thank you again.
I've hunted AK 3 times... definitely still figuring things out, @Bambistew has been very helpful as I think about hunts, his advice is solid.

Here are some broad strokes, there are exceptions, I'm not trying to illicit "well what about the XYZ hunt", these are generalities.

In AK there are two major population centers, Fairbanks and Anchorage. These are connected by a road system, essentially a circle Fairbanks is at the top and Anchorage the bottom.

As a Nonresident you can hunt deer, caribou, moose, black bear, and bison. Sheep, Goat, and Grizzly require a guide.

There are two types of hunts fly-in (boat-in) or hunt off the road.

Hunting near anchorage is very limited for NR for moose and caribou.

Caribou off of the road hunting is very difficult for NR, it's either a 1-2% odds draw or dealing with difficult logistics. The draw hunts also are not necessarily very because they are 100% draw for residents.

Pressure on the road is pretty amazing, I drove up the Richardson highway last year and it was insane, looked like a small army had mobilized on the wildlife. Jetboats, ATVs, Argo, big jeeps, everywhere.

Fly hunts are expensive, but it's easy to get tags and "apparently" quality is good. (I have not done a fly in caribou hunt)

Moose as a nonresident, a lot of units are 50 inches and 4 brow times. Meaning you have to shoot a damn big moose, learned this last year. We saw a pile of moose a couple that were maybe legal? but nothing that we felt was like was solidly over 50 and no 4 brow tine bulls.

Many of the units near anchorage are draw for moose for NR, draw for an area that is OTC to residents, meaning high pressure.

Units around Fairbanks tend to have better NR options than units around Anchorage... they are also logistically more difficult.

Fly in for moose is still largely 50 inches or better, but less pressure, also more expensive than caribou because it requires (usually) multiple flights to get the moose out.

Others have communicated the realities of SE and the Time/Money factor so I wont rehash it.

My advice, if you want to hunt AK multiple times start small and work your way up. Deer and black bear are good species to start with, recognize things are going to blow up and travel with patience.

If this is more a I want to go some day but it won't be a yearly thing, I'd open a savings account, save your money and do a fly-in trip.

If you are thinking about deer or bear in SE, I'd consider renting a Forest Service cabin for your first trip. They are not expensive and they give you a cushion when it comes to dealing with moisture, bears, etc. You can get flown or boated out to many of them. They do get hunted quite a bit but so do all the accessible areas. There are plenty of salty SE guys and gals that don't mess with tents in the fall.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back