Alaska moose hunt

streamer

Trying to put together a Alaskan moose hunt for two or three of us and there are so many air taxis and transporters. There are float hunts and camp hunts not sure which direction to take. I have called and talked to some but not sure how to decide. This is probably a once in a lifetime hunt for us and would appreciate any help with questions to ask or guys that people have used that are good at what they do. Thanks and good luck hunting

I have been on several diy amoose hunts. The thread mentioned above does a great job of explaining types of moose hunts. If I was planning a hunt with 2 other guys I would make sure everyone is on the same page as to what type of hunt they want as they vary greatly.

does everyone want to kill a moose or would a person, or two,be ok with doing everything a moose hunt involves but not being the trigger man? The reason I ask is because if everyone wants to kill a moose I think you will almost have to do a float hunt or have a transporter who will relocate you. 50” is the minimum for nonresident moose and to find 3 within packing distance of a base camp might be a chore. Also, 3 moose will be a tremendous amount of work. To be honest, 1 moose is a tremendous amount of work. I can’t imagine having 3 to take care.

the Alaska draw applications are due in December. Winners get announced the last of January or first of February. Transporters will fill up quickly after the draw. There are also harvest tag, think otc, options. The reputable transporters are filling up already for next year.

bring a come a long. Butchering moose in water is not fun.
1628819149247.png

From my research a float is going to give use best chances at higher success or opportunity for each of us. We have each been on an extreme backpack hunts so this is not new but just bigger. And yes I feel like most good transporters are already booked till 2023-24 I didn’t think there was that many doing these hunts and I don’t want to settle for just ones that are left

Gellar, Not all areas require the 50" minimum for nonresident bulls. The Yukon Delta, north of Bethel about 150 miles is one of them (at least it was not long ago).

We did a drop hunt because we didn't want to be constantly pitching or packing camp. The two of us got a bull each, fwiw.

Gellar, Not all areas require the 50" minimum for nonresident bulls. The Yukon Delta, north of Bethel about 150 miles is one of them (at least it was not long ago).

We did a drop hunt because we didn't want to be constantly pitching or packing camp. The two of us got a bull each, fwiw.
I stand corrected. Unit 18 lower Yukon is the only one I know that allows NR to harvest any antlered moose. Most units are 50” spread or in some units there is a brow tines restriction for nonresidents. It is usually 50” and/or 3 or 4 brow times on one side.

Regulations in AK can vary from unit to unit; even sub unit to sub unit. Start reading the rules now and bring a copy with you. Some of the most common rule changes from unit to unit are salvage requirements for meat, antler restrictions, and modes of transportation.

I would read Larry Bartlett’s float dragging Alaska if you are considering a float hunt, very useful book. Covers what to do and what to avoid and has an excellent meat care section. Proper meat care for 3 moose on rafts would be a nightmare IMO. I haven’t done a moose hunt yet but did a float caribou hunt several years back and just dealing with a Caribou was a lot of stopping and flipping meat and moving it in and out of the boat. His boats are also great, we have the legend.

Attachments

• 2E1D9167-3AF8-4A9D-A6CD-11485144FAF7.jpeg
    2E1D9167-3AF8-4A9D-A6CD-11485144FAF7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26
I've been up there a couple of times for DIY moose. Kind of hard to go wrong, as most all hunts should be great experiences. However, I'd do a camp hunt and shop transporters very carefully. A lot used to claim they just transport, but want to charge like a guide.

If you have three sets of hands, I would see who might want to volunteer for more of a support role when someone else get one down. Reason being that the small game and fishing would be worth the trip for someone not holding a tag. I would expect the tag holder(s) to shoulder more of the work and financial burden; also look to them as the primary decision maker(s).

That’s really good to know there is a lot of work put into a float hunt. Also I have one guy that is a maybe so two hunters would solve the extra moose tag. Going to have to narrow down my search. Any questions you would have for references that I can’t think of please let me know

We had 3-4 years of planning for our hunt and scheduling with a transporter. Planning and making great contacts are key to having success (Success wasn’t defined as killing for us, it was the experience).

I wasn’t interested in a float hunt, way more negatives IMO to deal with. We did apply to an area that was any bull, I didn’t feel comfortable depending on my judging of 50” minimum. Our goal was if one of us would kill a bull with our bow, stretch goal was if both got lucky.

We also decided that it would only be the two of us. We had a couple friends that wanted to come but since we did all the research over the years and we were archery hunting we felt the limited opportunities had been earned.

Planning and building relationships is the key. Good luck on the adventure.

Good luck on your hunt. Nothing like going on a drop hunt. Add in a river float gets better. But takes more logistics.
We use Dave Hicks, N2 Alaska 907-616-1010 out of Talkeetna. He has a 185 on floats n flown all around AK for over 30 years. And he keeps his equipment up. Does drop offs or haul freight. Denali tours. Mostly I trust him and his equipment. He's old school.
Your going to have some great memories whether you harvest a moose or not. Can you get bear n wolf tags ?

did you go on a diy

Regulations in AK can vary from unit to unit; even sub unit to sub unit. Start reading the rules now and bring a copy with you. Some of the most common rule changes from unit to unit are salvage requirements for meat, antler restrictions, and modes of transportation.
!

did you go on a diy
Depends on the definition. We were flown in by Papa Bear, and dropped off. They came back twice to pick up moose (no extra charge) and once more to fetch us home. Otherwise we were DIY. It was grand.

Papa Bear has been sold since then. There is at least one person here at HT that has hunted with them since then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back