Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Alaska Moose Buggy

I prefer a quiet wilderness experience...either flying in or rafting or boat/canoe.
Calling moose, the last thing I want to hear is machinery.

Tearing up the tundra is not my idea of leave-no-trace hunting on public land
and maintains the perception of the classic Bubba hunter...

I had a similar initial impression, but after I thought about it, I figured, "It's AK, even if every hunter had a moose buggy, the amount of damage would be relatively small...at least compared to somewhere like my home State (CO)." As long as he is using it legally (not in designated wilderness, etc.), I don't have an issue. In fact, if I could borrow it for my moose hunt this Fall, I would probably use it just to retrieve the 1,000 lb beast I plan to shoot with my bow.

Buggy trails, made long before us, mining trails. Where there are trails, others follow.

Air craft is machinery, flying one in or out. A boat does not get to the water by itself, tires on the ground, oars in the water, boots on the ground, are noise to the wilderness experience. We all do it how we decide. Motors get us to where start!

Moose Buggy trail  (1).JPGMoose Buggy trail  (2).JPG

Nice pictures n write up. And yes there are folks who tear things up. I believe most folks who use off road rigs agree that is wrong. But it's wrong to use a paint brush to paint all users.
I built my buggy specifically to make a lighter footprint. Could never have accomplished our remote cabin without.
Most important to me is that I'm not the young man I was. And need the motorized help.
This old buggy started out as a late 50s gmc truck with a napco 4x4 kit under it. I replaced the axles with Dana 60s out of an older power wagen. My goal was to make a half track. Add a tag axle midship. Use an old trailer house axle cut down and basically the same setup as a standard tag axle. And use air bags to control an up n down motion. This would allow me to change the angle of the track. Made 7564C137-7F9B-4244-8B89-DA8FB3AE34D2.jpeg25FC6DCF-F60B-4FB2-AB5D-77E6525BA22B.jpegfrom snogo tracks. I could lift the front up to cross logs n such. Depending on terrain.
Put another brake pedal in for left n right rear brake system along with the steer axle for turning. Probably wouldn't turn sharp but that's something I can work around if needed.

Nice simple flat deck.
Thinking this is how the grand kids are going to start. Knowing they'll beat em hard.

I made the stand that the tool box is on 52" wide so I could slide a sheet of plywood under it.
It's a put it in granny gear n chug along rig. The best thing is the simplicity

Somehow got on the banner of an Outdoor Life story.

I only consider 3 on the top ten list to be truly Alaska moose buggies. Boats, ATV's are other types of common off road access.

Somehow got on the banner of an Outdoor Life story.

I only consider 3 on the top ten list to be truly Alaska moose buggies. Boats, ATV's are other types of common off road access.
I saw that. You've definitely got some sweet buggies.

Back