Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Alaska guide Cub Max or FHF bino harness?

243varmint

Hi.
After some options on both these products.
As I can't get 'hands on' with these products which one do people rate?
Materials, which one is hard wearing? The FHF looks like it's made from a heavier duty material, is this correct?
Comfort?
Storage, room for extra bits.
Build quality
Thanks in advance for your help
Jon

I’ve never tried FHF, but I love my AGC. Very well built. FHF is more minimalist while AGC allows more stuff to be put in it. I was kind of worried that the AGC would be this huge thing on my chest, but that’s not the case. AGC provides more coverage. For me the AGC is better, but no doubt both are great.

Can only speak of the AG. Plenty rugged, lots of pockets for spare ammo, lighter, tags, TP, bug dope, phone scope slips in on top. Reading glasses and other stuff. I clip a "water bottle holder" on a side strap for video camera.
When clean and dry I spray heavy with waterproof spray.

I have the FHF and I love it. Material is great and has held up to some tough use. I agree the FHF is more minimalistic. I didn't have a use to carry a bunch of other stuff on my chest rig so I like that about it. Also I use it bow hunting and it does not impact my draw.

I have had a Muley Freak, Marsupial Gear 1st gen, Outdoor Vision and now an AGC. I like parts of each (Except Muley Freak, gave that away); front opening low profile of the Marsupial, also the simple webbing, ability to fold down lid. Fully enclosed quiet fabric of OV. Pocket storage silent operation of ACG.

Also disliked: Open sides on Marsupial (deal breaker), loud magnet on OV (deal breaker) and lack of storage space, rear (to the body) opening on ACG and hate the webbing harness (hot and rubs my neck raw).

Ended up swapping Marsupial Gear webbing strap for ACG and using ACG bag.

I really think the enclosed front opening Marsupial Gear 2nd gen will be the ticket for my wants. Have not tried it yet though.

There are options out there that open the correct way on the lid and do not have the hook and loop stuff to get caught on things as well as require you to hook it and un hook every time you use them.

I’ve had a FHF and now a AGC since my new binoculars don’t fit in my FHF case. So far I haven’t been able to really adjust to the larger size and all the pockets on the AGC. I do think the fit and finish on the FHF is slightly better than the AGC but not by much. My preference is more for the way it fits. I also struggle to get the AGC on and off a little more.

I am looking at the new Kuiu pro harness but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I've had a number of bino harnesses. I currently have a AGC super cub (?). I like it except for the side zipper pockets. If they zipped bottom to top vs top to bottom, a radio, GPS, etc could be put in it without fear of falling out. I mentioned it to them, and they said thanks for the feed back. I probably won't buy another. Its really big and bulky.

I also have a Mystery Ranch harness that I really like, but the extra pockets are pretty small, but functional.

Last edited:
I’ve had a FHF and now a AGC since my new binoculars don’t fit in my FHF case. So far I haven’t been able to really adjust to the larger size and all the pockets on the AGC. I do think the fit and finish on the FHF is slightly better than the AGC but not by much. My preference is more for the way it fits. I also struggle to get the AGC on and off a little more.

I am looking at the new Kuiu pro harness but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
We have one of the new Kuiu harness in our shop right now doing a retrofit on it. I have not had a chance to take it into the field but it is comfortable, quiet and if you like the forward opening style vs an FHF (flip up) style it may be a contender. One thing The one thing I noticed is the width of the bino pocket is set to accommodate the larger bino's and a set of 10x42's (vortex) seem to wobble around in it. This may an issue of getting the proper sizing on the different models. 10x42s seem to have some room side to side in the large size. Like I said, I have not had time to get it in the field, speed walk, hike or run with it on in order to see if the bino's make noise or jostle but other than that I like many of the features and it has promise to be a serious contender in the market place. Those who use larger bino's will certainly take to it. The water blade attachment system is also a cool feature if it's something you see yourself utilizing.

We also have a new Stone Glacier Skyline harness coming in that we will be retrofitting and It is a very "NEW" take on a bino harness build. Quite genius the way they have tackled the multi bino size problem with a velcro lid (Velcro is used to adjust the height of the pouch lid in order to accommodate different size bino's). It is not a velcro closure. Once the lid height is set, theoretically it's not to be moved again. It is then used like all forward opening lids. I think it may end up getting traction in the industry as well and really like it. No field time with that one either but soon.

We have retrofitted just about every type of harness in our shop to date. My current and personal preference is the FHF. It's just simple, works and has very little bulk to it. It's my go to and I have been using one for years. For reference I am a small guy so that may just have something to do with my liking the fit, comfort, feel and utility of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an AGC Kodiac Cub and for me the winning factor over fhf was the front zippered range finder pocket. It fits my range finder perfectly and once unzipped is convenient and dead silent for accessing during a stock or close encounter. I spend a lot of time whitetail hunting and minimal movement/noise are my main concern; ACG checks both of those boxes. My previous harness was the vortex glass pack and once the temps dropped below freezing it was about as quiet as a bag of chips.

We have one of the new Kuiu harness in our shop right now doing a retrofit on it. I have not had a chance to take it into the field but it is comfortable, quiet and if you like the forward opening style vs an FHF (flip up) style it may be a contender. One thing I notice that may OR may not be an issue is that it is built to house "everything from 8x all the way up to the larger 15x bino's and the Height/depth of pocket adjustments are accomplished by using foam spacers in the bino pocket. The one thing I noticed is the width of the bino pocket is set to accommodate the larger bino's and a set of 10x42's (vortex) seem to wobble around in it. Like I said, I have not had time to get it in the field, speed walk, hike or run with it on to see if the bino's make noise or jostle but other than that I like many of the features and it has promise to be a serious contender in the market place. Those who use larger bino's will certainly take to it.

We also have a new Stone Glacier Skyline harness (just got it in) we are retrofitting and It is a very "NEW" take on a bino harness build. Quite genius the way they have tackled the multi bino size problem with a velcro lid (Velcro is used to adjust the height of the pouch lid in order to accommodate different size bino's). It is not a velcro closure. Once the lid height is set, theoretically it's not to be moved again. It is then used like all forward opening lids. I think it may end up getting traction in the industry as well and really like it. No field time with that one either but soon.

We have retrofitted just about every type of harness in our shop to date. My current and personal preference is the FHF. It's just simple, works and has very little bulk to it. It's my go to and I have been using one for years. For reference I am a small guy so that may just have something to do with my liking the fit, comfort, feel and utility of it.
That stone glacier is very interesting and the fit system is unique. There are a lot of things I like about it. Thanks for sharing the info.

Now they need to add a cell phone holder on the front of the lid and I would buy one. That seems to be the next evolution of the harness is making a space for a phone since so many use them as a GPS these days. I think a pouch similar to the range finders would work but ideally right up front would be most accessible IMO.

I've had a number of bino harnesses. I currently have a AGC super cut (?). I like it except for the side zipper pockets. If they zipped bottom to top vs top to bottom, a radio, GPS, etc could be put in it without fear of falling out. I mentioned it to them, and they said thanks for the feed back. I probably won't buy another. Its really big and bulky.

I also have a Mystery Ranch harness that I really like, but the extra pockets are pretty small, but functional.
That seems like a no brainer. Must have cost plenty of lost items over the years for folks. I sometimes wonder if these companies even do any R&D or just throw out a design as it seems like there are obvious things that get missed on many of these designs.

That stone glacier is very interesting and the fit system is unique. There are a lot of things I like about it. Thanks for sharing the info.

Now they need to add a cell phone holder on the front of the lid and I would buy one. That seems to be the next evolution of the harness is making a space for a phone since so many use them as a GPS these days. I think a pouch similar to the range finders would work but ideally right up front would be most accessible IMO.
IMG_2405.jpeg
This is one of our retrofits for an FHF harness. The phone pouch is just a simple military mollie pouch designed to fit almost any phone. The phone inside is an iPhone XR (a larger phone). IMG_2403.jpg

Interesting. I am not a fan of the front opening as I consider them to be backwards and I do not like the hook/loop as it gets caught on things, that's why the stone glacier is appealing to me. I think they are really innovating with the adjustable sizing as well.

IT looks like that will work for a phone but ideally that needs to be on front IMO with a pouch that has a zipper or magnet (not a plastic clip) on top so the phone can't fall out while walking as most people do not have a teather setup like that but it makes sense. I do the same thing with my rangefinder and old style gps.

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting. I am not a fan of the front opening as I consider them to be backwards and I do not like the hook/loop as it gets caught on things, that's why the stone glacier is appealing to me. I think they are really innovating with the adjustable sizing as well.

IT looks like that will work for a phone but ideally that needs to be on front IMO with a pouch that has a zipper or magnet (not a plastic clip) on top so the phone can't fall out while walking as most people do not have a teather setup like that but it makes sense. I do the same thing with my rangefinder and old style gps.

Thanks for sharing.
We did receive the SG harness in yesterday. When we are done retrofitting it I can post it. I can also post the new Kuiu we are working on.

As far as forward opening or the rear opening lids. Very subjective to the user. I am in the other camp of being able to operate a rear opening harness easier (my dexterity is border line dangerous anyway). For me they are also very easy to keep open whether it's the FHF or similar (fold the flap behind the harness/between the users chest and the harness) Thats just me but anyway I will post the SG when we are done with it so people can see it.

As far as phone holders go this is just one possible way of doing it and we have retrofit several different harnesses with lanyards for phone setups (this is a very clean way of doing it that keeps the lanyard tight to the harness). The plastic side release buckles are as positive or better security than a zipper or magnet so security is not an issue and those preferences are also user choice (each have their own inherent downfalls as well).

There is really no right or wrong answer, rather user preference.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back