Caribou Gear

Alaska dall sheep hunt

BradA

I have a dall sheep hunt booked for 2022 and I am curious how much time do you that have experienced traveling to Alaska for a dall sheep hunt take off from work? How many days were you gone from home to home?

just moved from palmer alaska. used to hunt dalls bout every year . i would take off at least two weeks from work. time/ travel is measured in days up there,not hours... state is huge.most important thing by far.....train like thers no tomorrow or you will waste yourtrip/time/money....beat the hell out of yourself then train more.you mus t acclimate your body to carrying 40/50 lbs all day long up and down then up and down.let me know if i can be of help with gear logistics or whatever. i hunted alaska range ,brooks range and wrangells.im,a amatuer fitness freak, lifter etc.... and trained like a mother for months prior to each hunt ... still after each hunt when i got home i would piss and moan and bitch to my wife about how i was gonna sell all my gear and never hunt sheep again. bout two weeks later when the pain was gone,,, i was planning my next sheep hunt!!! greatest hunting on earth.

I'd would plan 2 days travel time on each side of your hunt. Most hunts are 10 days. Some include a day or two of travel, so actual hunting time might only be 7-8 days.

I usually hunt for 9-10 days at most. I only need a travel day on either side though as a resident.

I'm probably the opposite in terms of training as brokehunter. I go on hikes throughout the year, and pack a lot... that's about all I do to get ready. I'm never ready enough, but I have a good time and don't suffer that bad. Mountain hunting is about 70% mental and 30% physical. I've yet to start a hunt and not be 20lbs over weight. :D

I agree...two days to get there, ten days to hunt and a couple days to get back home.

I dall sheep hunted with a friend and frankly, even if you tagged out on the first day it might not be very easy to get out before the scheduled pickup. Weather can sock you in for days...Just go and enjoy the entire experience.

I'd would plan 2 days travel time on each side of your hunt. Most hunts are 10 days. Some include a day or two of travel, so actual hunting time might only be 7-8 days.

I usually hunt for 9-10 days at most. I only need a travel day on either side though as a resident.

I'm probably the opposite in terms of training as brokehunter. I go on hikes throughout the year, and pack a lot... that's about all I do to get ready. I'm never ready enough, but I have a good time and don't suffer that bad. Mountain hunting is about 70% mental and 30% physical. I've yet to start a hunt and not be 20lbs over weight. :D
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

I have a dall sheep hunt booked for 2022 and I am curious how much time do you that have experienced traveling to Alaska for a dall sheep hunt take off from work? How many days were you gone from home to home?
how long is your hunt? I'm a local and my hunt last year was 10 days - I planned to be in the field 12-13 days. I think I hear on average for the guys who live here that it is about 10 days give or take. That covers a day or two in and a day or two out. Then the actual hunt. Several of the draws are about 10-14 days.
Are you booked with an Outfitter already?

how long is your hunt? I'm a local and my hunt last year was 10 days - I planned to be in the field 12-13 days. I think I hear on average for the guys who live here that it is about 10 days give or take. That covers a day or two in and a day or two out. Then the actual hunt. Several of the draws are about 10-14 days.
Are you booked with an Outfitter already?
Yes outfitter and ten day hunt

Yes outfitter and ten day hunt
Nice, where are you coming from? And i would agree with what folks said. Plan a good couple days of travel. Also if you can get to Alaska a day or two early you could possibly hike in early, if your guide is available, to get a head start and trying to locate rams - even if you don't move but hunker down in one location. Just gives you that much more time to figure them out and make your move.

This is coming from a guy who did my first DIY Sheep Hunt last year unsuccessfully but had a blast. My $.02

Usually all day to get to AK, overnight in Anchorage or Fairbanks, then bush plane out to outfitter next day. When you return, bush plane from outfitter to city, overnight in city, then fly home next day. Two days on each end of the hunt. Also- It's never a bad idea to stay an extra day or two in Anchorage or Fairbanks just to look around.

I don't usually have enough time but I usually fly out Monday from the states and head to starting point on Tuesday morning. Not really hunting till Wednesday then hunt through Saturday. Usually get out super late Saturday night/Sun morning then hop a plane home Sunday sometime. I wish I had 2 more days ideally.
my training is similar to Bambistews. Always wish I was in a little better shape for sure.

I agree with 2 days travel on both sides and then try and give yourself extra days for when the weather turns to crap and you can’t see anything so you end up in your tent all day. Those are long days. Good luck. Sheep hunting is my number one thing I like to hunt. Wish I could do it more.

After 20 years of guiding I would simply add mental preparation for weather delays. Just had folks here for three days who only needed a two hour window to get 100 miles south. Over the years a lot of people have missed their connections out of Anchorage because flights out of the bush or even regional hubs were delayed. At least have a contingency plan in place, give yourself a couple extra days to get home. If your flight is delayed do not throw your weight around like you might in sea tac or Atlanta. The folks who work in the regional hubs don’t give a shit, the only power they’ve had in their lives is who gets on next plane. I’ve seen A..H.. sit in the kingSalmon airport for a couple of days before figuring out if he doesn’t shut up he’s never leaving.
smart guys walk over to the store, get a bag of Hershey’s kisses for the girls at the counter. Seen it work every time for 20 years.

Last edited:
I’ve seen A..H.. sit in the kingSalmon airport for a couple of days before figuring out if he doesn’t shut up he’s never leaving.
smart guys walk over to the store, get a bag of Hershey’s kisses for the girls at the counter. Seen it work every time for 20 years.

Note to self.......don't travel with A..H.... and keep candy on the ready......

After 20 years of guiding I would simply add mental preparation for weather delays. Just had folks here for three days who only needed a two hour window to get 100 miles south. Over the years a lot of people have missed their connections out of Anchorage because flights out of the bush or even regional hubs were delayed. At least have a contingency plan in place, give yourself a couple extra days to get home. If your flight is delayed do not throw your weight around like you might in sea tac or Atlanta. The folks who work in the regional hubs don’t give a shit, the only power they’ve had in their lives is who gets on next plane. I’ve seen A..H.. sit in the kingSalmon airport for a couple of days before figuring out if he doesn’t shut up he’s never leaving.

Excellent advice

16 days. assuming you get off work Friday evening, leave the next day and dont return until the Sunday before you go back to work. there are always possible weather delays and even if there is not, relax and enjoy/ explore your new surroundings . Read the post in the bucket list thread that BuzzH made about his Muskox hunt. Good post and point. Talk to the locals, have a beer with them, relax and enjoy, the hunt and the trip.

Note to self.......don't travel with A..H.... and keep candy on the ready......
We’ve learned over the years to “handle” it for our clients. The folks at the counter know us, the fish is always vacuum sealed and frozen, the bags are never over weight and we put the bags on the conveyor for them. If the flight gets cancelled our folks almost always get on the next flight.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back