Advice for December cow elk hunt in New Mexico

lcmcrev

I was not drawn for a bull elk archery hunt this year, so I purchased a land-owner cow tag just to make sure I get a chance to put some meat in the freezer this winter. This will be a rifle hunt in the Zuni Mountains. I'm looking for advice (based on experience) on hunting cow elk in December. Scouting is paramount, I know. But beyond that, I'd appreciate hearing what others have learned. Thanks!

Like you said it's going to take some scouting. More than likely the cows will be in bunches. Depending on the area they could be in groups of 10 to 200 hundred. Good Luck and I hope you get one.

I don't remember the name of the ranch owners in unit 10 but I hunted the area in the Zunis for years for elk and turkey. There are plenty of cows and if you just find the steepest hills off the roads and climb straight up they should be milling around on the tops. Not too hard of a hike just a few minutes climbing then peek over the top and that's how I have shot a nimber of elk. If it is the same ranch I am thinking of you will find plenty of elk on their property. Good luck.

Back