Caribou Gear Tarp

Adventurizing my Tacoma

Mpg will still go down once you put stuff in your roof basket. What gear ratio did you go with? I put in 4.88's in my old 4runner with 33x12.5x15 tires. Didn't matter. Thing was a gas hog anyway.
Yeah, any bulky items create a lot of wind drag and kills your fuel economy

I just wish Toyota would give us Americans the diesel option out of the Hilux for the Tacos. I think it's gotta be on the horizon, with other competitors making it a more frequent offering state side, and it's about time. A little 4 cylinder with some down low grunt would be an awesome place to start an overland/hunting rig build from IMO.

Agreed. I bought a Colorado with the diesel, but if the Tacoma had one it probably would've been the winner. Seems the midsize trucks these days have glorified car engines that make all their power and torque at high RPM, which I really don't like in a truck. Efficiency is really nice too.

Thanks everyone.

Those diesel conversions... Wow!

Now I'm working on the more fun part of the truck prep- prepping for hunting season and figuring our what gear goes where.

I feel like Toyota is doing what Jeep did. The offroad reputation was made by early model stock vehicles and now has evolved into a pavement princess stock vehicle with a whole secondary modification market that they make you feel you HAVE to do to make it eligible to get dirty off road. (I will admit the stock 4wd Toyota is still capable off road).

I think it is a shame you have to spend $30,000 on a new vehicle and then spend an additional $10,000 on accessories, "better" tires, a lift kit, exhaust kit, air filter, new gears and a running boards so you can get in it...Brand not withstanding...

Sigh... I guess I won't be able to get to the trailhead.

FWIW, your truck looks cool. It is obvious you put a lot of work into it. Nice job.

The new trucks are probably more capable stock. People have just figured out how to get more money from you.

Back