Adventures of a Rookie

RidgeRoamingRichard

Although I started hunting when I was a kid, we never really hunted the right way. We got up too late, went home too early, and rarely left the comfort of the truck. We stuck to the non-productive areas we had always hunted because we knew them. Because of this, I regarded hunting as a game of chance.

Thanks to shows like Fresh Tracks, Meateater, and the Western Hunter, I've seen the light of spot and stalk hunting. Hunting can be a strategic endeavour, not just a crap shoot! Forums like this one have not only provided much needed knowledge, but also the confidence to go out and try.

I see so many threads about success. This one is about failure. Its about perseverance. Its about hunting for the sake of hunting. If you're looking for huge trophies, scores and draw odds, this ain't the thread for you. If you like a humble, no-bull account of trying and trying again, I hope this thread entertains.

Episode 1: Turkeys require some research.
I had seen some guys go after them on TV; looks simple enough. Go out, find 'em, set up and call. That's it right?
I headed out to an area I had scouted earlier. On the map, it looked like the river drainage intersected by the trail was flat and open, a perfect place for birds. I set out with my shotgun and facemask, optimistic about my hunt.
At the point of intersection, I started up the "open and flat" drainage, thinking it had to open up after this next thicket. After about 2 miles of ducking under, over, and through willows, I started to second guess my honey hole. What I couldn't figure out was how such a large bird was going to bushwhack into that hell hole to come to my seductive calls! Needless to say I killed nothing but time, and by the time I reached the truck, I was pretty sure turkeys weren't stupid birds wondering MT's thickets.

I learned a few things that day. I learned about the importance of habitat. Just looking at topo lines isn't enough, you need to look at the vegetation, habitat composition, etc. Do the homework to understand what types of habitat your query actually inhabits, guessing won't cut it. Taking off up a mysterious, choked out drainage isn't the best turkey hunting go-to.

I also learned that Montana is a big state, and turkeys don't inhabit all of it uniformly. Bozeman is known for many things, but turkeys aren't really one of them (except the ones you see around town with white shades and safari snorkels). Some windshield time is well worth it if you get to hunt a sizeable population of birds.

The last thing I learned is to not take myself too seriously. When I was gearing up that morning, I was a killer, a finely tuned hunting machine bent on success. By the end of my scramble through the bushes, I was a humbled man. Humility has changed my hunting. Its now more research intensive. I have an educated guess when I enter the forest now, rather than a hunch.

I'll keep these coming if people like them. If not, just tell me to kick rocks. Thanks for reading.

Turkey hunting is about the conversation. Find on that’s gobbling and set up where he will come to you. They don’t like to cross creeks, fences, etc. You need the high ground.

Good luck on your quest!

I grew up hunting pretty much everything... except turkeys. Found them later in life and absolutely love chasing them.

Maps and e-scouting are good but there's no replacement for time in the field. That doesn't even necessarily mean boot leather. Just getting a general feel for an area can be a huge help. These days on random cross country road trips I'll be looking around thinking this looks like a great place for some birds and more often than not I'll spot a flock minutes later. And this is hammering down some interstate doing 80 mph.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest guys. I've since found turkey hunting to be exciting and addicting, you just have to do your homework, and like mentioned, scout as much as possible.

I'll tell you about some other failures another day!

A friend of mine knew a lady that owned a 3000 acre cattle ranch in Santa Maria. She told him that she needed to get rid of some pigs that were damaging the ranch. He didn’t hunt so he gave the lead to me and said I was welcome to stay at his oilfield shop in Santa Maria for free. A hunting buddy and I drove up to Santa Maria to stay the night at his shop and then thin out the pig population the next day.

So that night we tried to sleep outside at the shop. That area was nice in the day but turned into a bad neighborhood at night. The traffic noise was horrible. Sirens, horns honking, people yelling, burnouts all night, and gangs walking down the street being as loud and obnoxious as possible. We got maybe an hour of sleep. Probably less.

So we leave the city, head out to the ranch, drive and glass all morning and saw no pig sign anywhere. Called up the little old lady that afternoon, she agrees to meet us and show us where the pigs had been rooting around. We follow her down a long dirt road to a cattle trough. She gets out, hobbles over and points to cattle hoof prints in the mud. To her that was pig rooting damage. Cute little old lady. Bottom line there had never been any pigs on her ranch. So we thanked her for allowing us to hunt on her ranch and we packed it up and headed home. You are right. Not all hunts are successful.

But some are.

Little steps towards success. Getting to know where birds aren't is as important as knowing how to hunt them. And just as soon as you think you know a thing or two, they go and make the fool out of you. With pea sized brains. Absolutely outsmart your best laid plans. Or not, and they will walk right into your lap. Go figure!

Welcome to the addiction. Almost nothing better than pulling in a talkative tom from clear over there right to you and watching the show the whole way.

Back