Adult Onset Hunter From Denver

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and offers of help! Much appreciated!

It’s not surprising that a community started by @Big Fin is such a friendly place.

Hi All,

My name is Todd and I live in Denver. I've been lurking on the site a while, but figured it was time to say hi.

I grew up in the 'burbs around NYC. I knew no hunters growing up, but it's always something I have wanted to do. I hoped one day I'd meet a friend who is a hunter to take me out and help me learn, but that's never happened (perhaps because I have always lived in cities).

Well, now I am 44 and have decided I am not going to let this dream die.

In 2019, I got my hunters ed card, and I went through CPW's Novice Pheasant Hunter Program. I met some people through that I have been out an a handful of bird hunts, but I did not feel confident in my skills or knowledge to try and pull any big game or turkey tags in 2020 (although I realize now that purchasing points was probably a good idea).

That said I am going to get tags for turkey, and deer or elk this year. Even if I come home empty handed I will have hopefully learned something, and a few days spent in the woods is better than pretty much anything else I might be doing.

I also have a young son and am hoping to learn enough in the next few years to start taking him out with me too.

If you're in the Denver area and looking for a hunting or range buddy, hit me up with a PM!

To the everyone else, hi, and thanks already for all that I have learned reading your posts.

Todd
It doesn't matter if you punch a tag or not, hunting is about the journey, the harvest is just frosting on the cake. Good luck to you if I lived closer I would help you get started

Hi All,

My name is Todd and I live in Denver. I've been lurking on the site a while, but figured it was time to say hi.

I grew up in the 'burbs around NYC. I knew no hunters growing up, but it's always something I have wanted to do. I hoped one day I'd meet a friend who is a hunter to take me out and help me learn, but that's never happened (perhaps because I have always lived in cities).

Well, now I am 44 and have decided I am not going to let this dream die.

In 2019, I got my hunters ed card, and I went through CPW's Novice Pheasant Hunter Program. I met some people through that I have been out an a handful of bird hunts, but I did not feel confident in my skills or knowledge to try and pull any big game or turkey tags in 2020 (although I realize now that purchasing points was probably a good idea).

That said I am going to get tags for turkey, and deer or elk this year. Even if I come home empty handed I will have hopefully learned something, and a few days spent in the woods is better than pretty much anything else I might be doing.

I also have a young son and am hoping to learn enough in the next few years to start taking him out with me too.

If you're in the Denver area and looking for a hunting or range buddy, hit me up with a PM!

To the everyone else, hi, and thanks already for all that I have learned reading your posts.

Todd
Welcome! It's never too late to start! Colorado is a great place to get started elk hunting.

Was in the same exact boat.. Never grew up in a hunting family and decided as an adult to get into it. I've been hunting a few years now and finally had some success last year. I just turned 40 and didn't have my hunters safety when I started either!

Welcome to the site! It's great hearing your plans to hunt with your son. Colorado seems to have great youth hunt opportunities that are very reasonably priced. I get more enjoyment guiding my daughter than trying to harvest one myself. Good luck.
I couldn't agree more. We all have an obligation to keep our great sport alive and it starts with our own kids. If helping your kids develop as outdoorsman and outdoorswomen doesn't get you excited then I am sorry. My most memorable hunts and experiences have come with my kids and their first deer, elk, etc. It is the ultimate trophy as a parent! Good stuff and I couldn't agree more RZRBK.

Back