Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Add me to the ranks

wyomingtim

Well guys - finally took the plunge. Bought me a new (although discontinued) Reflex Super Slam over the weekend. I figure archery will give me a better chance at a real elk in Utah than rifle, and I will have more time to do it. The bow is bare bones - nothing at all on it right now.

This is what I was thinking to get started (wish list items in parentheses):
Tru-glo Xtreme 5-pin sight (Hogg-It Hunter)
Whisker Biscuit rest (Ripcord COntainment fall away)
Jim Fletcher .44 release
S-coil stabilizer (B-Stinger Pro Hunter 12"/11oz)
Cabelas Stalker Extreme arrows (Easton ST Axis N-Fused)
Magnus Snuffer SS broadheads

So, anything missing? Good enough set-up to start with?

Thanks for any input.

Sounds good to me. (If I had the cash I would buy the SpotHogg SDP.. Why did you choose that broadhead? Just out of curiosity?

Looks like you have done your research and will be ready to go this fall. One thought, go with what is on your wish list (other than the arrows). Buy what you want the first time instead of having redundant components.

I agree with Miller, the wish list looks great to me.
I'm thinking about switching to those Magnus Snuffer SS this year, great reviews. Can't go wrong with anything by Magnus.
I'm also thinking about trading in my Sims moduler stabilizer on a B-stinger, or maybe a Posten.
Jim Fletcher releases have a great reputation but I didn't like the one I had. I sold it and got a "True Ball" "Short & Sweet", now I'm happy.

Thanks for the input guys. Basically, all of my opinions here are based off reviews and word of mouth. I have no actual experience with any of this stuff yet.

BT - basically on the reviews I have read and the lifetime warranty that Magnus is offering if you bend or break a broadhead. There are a ton of bh's out there, and I have also considered the G5 Montec. I think bh's are to a point that if you pick any of the major players that you will be fine. I also shy away from mechanicals for a few reasons. From what I understand, they aren't allowed in every state, and I wouldn't want to have to change for one hunt if I happen to go to one of thos estates. Also, I just don't like the idea of having to rely on a mechanical process at the business end. Although the rate may be low, those mechanical blades will fail to open more than a fixed blade - one less thing to worry about.

miller - I would love to go with everything on my wish list first, but finances will not allow it. At least this way I can be ready for hunting/shooting faster than trying to save up for the other gear first.

You will like the spot hog. I love mine, and even in low light conditions you will be able to see just fine.

This is what I was thinking to get started (wish list items in parentheses):
Tru-glo Xtreme 5-pin sight (Hogg-It Hunter)
Whisker Biscuit rest (Ripcord COntainment fall away)
Jim Fletcher .44 release
S-coil stabilizer (B-Stinger Pro Hunter 12"/11oz)
Cabelas Stalker Extreme arrows (Easton ST Axis N-Fused)
Magnus Snuffer SS broadheads

Thanks for any input.
Tim,

Congrats on making the jump. Anything is better then nothing and all of your stuff will work just fine. When looking for the compenents don't be afraid to try ebay. By far the cheapest way I have found to get the best for your money. I've had over 800 transactions and have yet to get ripped off but talk to the next guy and he may be opposite.

B-tine - I absolutely love the Magnus heads. I mainly shoot the Stingers (love the cut on impact). I did try the SS heads this year and was very happy with them. Only issue is with sharpening both the SS and the g5's. Very hard to get razor sharp unless you spend some time with them. Also, you can never beat a lifetime guarentee and trust me they honor it. I have sent them pieces of heads that I had destroyed in rocks and they replaced it no questions. One head flies like crap send it back they will replace it. Everytime I send them a picture of a dead animal with my heads and everytime I've either gotten a free shirt or hat. They are AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the input on those broad heads.. Looks like I am going to have to drop a few bucks.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back