Adak Island or the Haul Road????

HONDO

I'm heading to Alaska twice in 2007 for Moose and Black Bear. I would like to start working on a 2008 do it yourself trip for Caribou. What are everyones thoughts on Adak and the Haul Road? I will be hunting with a bow, but I will be with a minimum of two rifle hunters. Trophy quality is important. I know there are a lot of different ways to go with Caribou in Alaska and I'm just starting my research, just wanted to get a feel for what everyone here thought.

From what I know the logistics and distance of Adak make the trip pretty spendy. I have hunted the haul road with a bow. Although I scored trophy potential was not important. Mine was a young bull. My partner did score on a really nice one though. Early in the year weather (heat) can hamper the hunt making meat care difficult. Caribou can be finnicky. We saw groups of up to maybe 5 at a time. I am hearing recent reports of hundreds. I know that the 5 mile walk is tough and the pack out will need to be done in 2 trips with caribou. Otherwise figuring it all out is half of the fun.

waterboy, are you still required to be five miles from the road if you are hunting with a bow? I thought I had read that only rifle hunters had to be five miles from the road. I appreciate your feedback.

AkBearHunter, appreciate the info, I will certainly be talking to Larry. I am just starting my research on this. As far as Adak, are logistics tough after actually getting to the island? Is there anyplace to rent a boat or 4-wheeler?

Wish I could answer that for you Hondo but i've never hunted there but I have however read quie a few stories about that place. From what I gathered you have to either have someone drop you off with a boat or walk and it's pretty open country with a lot of wind. With concerns to the Haul road, you can hunt from the road with a bow and the 5 mile requirement is with a rifle/muzzloader/pistol. You will need your IBEP card to hunt there with a bow however.

You can hunt with a bow from the road. There was a 1/4 mile area for a while, but it has been removed. There is very little cover for the majority of the areas, which makes the hunt difficult. Many hunters use the ditches on the side of the road and even the pipeline (as I did) for concealment. This is not a wilderness hunt, you will have company. We did not have all of the troubles that you sometimes hear about. We went in the middle of August , and the bulls were still in velvet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back