ABC NEW S

Alasken

Did anyone else catch the 20/20 story tonight blasting PETA?? Send thank you notes to ABC NEWS.com

I missed it, but here's a transcript of John Stossel's report. It sure is nice to see something like this for a change. But I did notice that nothing was mentioned about their anti-hunting stance.

Has PETA Gone Hog Wild?
Animal Rights vs. Human Rights

Commentary
By John Stossel
Feb. 7 — What's up with the animal rights activists? They'd rather save a lab rat than allow potentially lifesaving research into diseases that kill us humans. And they spend money on legal fees for people who've done things like firebomb research centers.

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk says we shouldn't drink milk, and PETA is suing the Milk Board for what it calls deceptive advertising. PETA says the ads are deceptive because they show happy cows in green meadows.
"Almost no cows have a blade of grass or a tree," Newkirk said.

"Some of them are on mud," Newkirk said, "which means when it rains, they're living up to their hocks in manure."

But in nature, cows walk around in mud. If there weren't farmers taking care of them, the cows' living conditions might be worse. And many cows do live in green fields. You see them all over America.

Farmers want healthy animals — a healthy chicken lays more eggs, a happy cow gives more milk. That's why some dairy farmers even give their cows waterbeds to sleep on. Newkirk says that only a "vast, vast minority" are treated that well.

Still, it shows that the farmer wants a healthy cow, too, right?

"It's economics, that's all it is. If it ruins the leather …" Newkirk said.

Economics is OK. A happy cow, a healthy cow, more milk, more meat.

‘Concentration Camps for Animals’

PETA also wants us to stop eating turkey, because, according to Newkirk, the turkeys have nothing but "stress, pain, disease, fear, and in the end, a traumatic death." She says turkey farms are "like concentration camps for animals."

I think that's an insult to the people who were in concentration camps.

She told me: "If you go to these turkey farms, turkeys are crammed together so tightly, and they're transported in all weather conditions, only to be hung up by one leg and have their throat slit. That's not kind."

But nature isn't kind either. Lions hunt down zebras and start to eat them while they're still alive. And while life on a turkey farm is no picnic, wild turkeys have tough lives, too. In the wild, they would fight, and die slowly, suffering as much pain as turkeys on a turkey farm.

PETA says we shouldn't wear fur, either. Some of its members stormed the runway at the recent Victoria's Secret fashion show to protest a model who poses for fur ads.

At a protest in Boston a month later, PETA activists doused themselves with red paint — to represent the animal's blood — and then slithered over Macy's store windows, smearing as much of the paint as possible to protest Macy's selling fur coats.

That protest cost Boston-area taxpayers money. The Boston Sanitation Department had to come to clean up the sidewalks. When I asked her about this Newkirk said, "I'm sorry, John, but I think somebody has to give the animals a voice."

PETA has gotten some very famous people to be the animals' voices. It's a trendy charity; celebrities such as Alec Baldwin and Alicia Silverstone appear in PETA ads.

Activism or Terrorism?

Some of their ads encourage us to protest research on animals. Even though animal testing has led to penicillin, organ transplants, the cure for polio, PETA says medical research involving animal testing must not be done.

Newkirk said, "It's totally immoral, and I would no more experiment on my neighbor's child than experiment on an animal."

Newkirk said that all animals feel pain, and feel afraid, and "it's rubbish research."

Other animal rights activists advocate not just civil disobedience, but force.

Robin Webb asked a crowd to destroy a New Jersey laboratory that uses animals to do research on diseases like AIDS and cancer when he spoke at an event for Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty.

PETA says it does not fund terrorists, but when arsonists who blew up a research lab in Michigan were caught, PETA paid $45,000 for the legal defense of arsonist Rodney Coronado.

"We gave him money for his defense because it is America and you are entitled to a legal defense and he's a fine young man and a schoolteacher," Newkirk said.

Coronado doesn't seem to have any remorse for his action. He's out of jail, and a few months ago the Center for Consumer Freedom taped him urging others to burn buildings down.

"I wish I didn't have to stand up here and talk about and justify and encourage direct action — encourage breaking the law, encourage burning down buildings that are built for life's destruction, but I do," he said.

He's the fine young teacher PETA's defending? The guy blew up a building. He didn't just speak his mind, he spoke with a bomb.

Now you know, when you make your contribution to PETA, that's where some of it goes.

Give Me a Break!

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/Stossel_gmabPETA030207.html

I liked it when I heard that PETA is giving all the fur coats they have obtained to the homeless. Now wouldn't you give a dollar to a homeless person sitting on the street looking for money while he/she was wearing a mink coat?

here is more from peta, this is unbelievable.....

Arafat gets asinine plea from PETA on intefadeh

The Virginian-Pilot
© February 6, 2003

Every so often, I violate my own policy against giving PETA -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals -- the publicity it desperately desires and doesn't deserve.
I do this whenever the Norfolk-based animal rights group does something so astonishing, it simply can't be ignored.

This is one of those times.

But our story doesn't begin in Norfolk. It begins in Israel.

On Jan. 26, a bomb exploded on the road between Jerusalem and the West Bank settlement of Gush Etzion.

As terror attacks go, this one was minor. Most of us didn't hear about it because, with the exception of one bus passenger treated for shock, no one was injured.

Thank God.

Palestinian terrorists delivered the bomb to its destination by donkey. They strapped explosives and a remote device to the animal and detonated the bomb by cell phone as an Israeli bus passed by.

The donkey, of course, was killed.

You know where this is going, don't you?

That's right. PETA, the group that never before expressed concern about the carnage in Israel, is suddenly outraged.

All because a donkey died.

Never mind that, according to the Israeli embassy, which keeps track of such grim statistics, 729 Israelis have perished in terrorist attacks since September 2000.

It took the death of a donkey for PETA to find its voice.

Leave the animals out of it, they cry.

Determined to make Hampton Roads look like a breeding ground for wackos to the rest of the world, PETA President Ingrid Newkirk this week fired off a fax to Yasser Arafat.

She began the letter with a polite salutation: ``Your Excellency.''

I can think of lots of titles for Arafat. Excellency isn't among them.

But I digress.

``. . . We have received many calls and letters from people shocked at the bombing . . . in which a live donkey, laden with explosives, was intentionally blown up.

``All nations behave abominably in many ways when they are fighting their enemies, and animals are always caught in the crossfire. The U.S. Army abandoned thousands of loyal service dogs in Vietnam. (Odd. No mention of our dead soldiers, MIAs, POWs or even loyal South Vietnamese allies who were left behind, but again, I digress.)

``Al-Qaeda and the British government have both used animals in hideously cruel biological weaponry tests.''

Brace yourselves. It gets worse.

``We watched on television as stray cats in your own compound fled as best they could from Israeli bulldozers''

Fleeing cats! PETA confronts the horror of war.

``Animals claim no nation. They are in perpetual involuntary servitude to all humankind, and, although they pose no threat and own no weapons, human beings always win the undeclared war against them. . . .

``If you have the opportunity,'' Newkirk beseeched Arafat, ``will you please add to your burdens my request that you appeal to all those who listen to you to leave the animals out of this conflict?'' In other words, Newkirk seems to be begging the Palestinians not to stop the slaughter, but rather to find a different delivery system for their bombs.

Appalling.

Perhaps Ms. Newkirk would prefer that the Palestinians used suicide bombers instead of burros. Oh, that's right, they usually do.

Lisa Lange, PETA's vice president of communications, told me yesterday that Newkirk's letter was written after their offices had been bombarded with calls from PETA members who had learned of the donkey bomb.

Lange said it's PETA's philosophy that human cruelty often begins with animal cruelty.

The Washington Post this week asked Ms. Newkirk if she had ``considered asking Arafat to persuade those who listen to him to stop blowing up people as well'' as animals.

Her response should be required reading for all would-be members of PETA:

``It's not my business to inject myself into human wars,'' Newkirk told the Post.

How does one respond to such moral ambiguity?

How about a body count of human bodies?

In January 2003 -- the month in which the donkey died -- 21 Israelis and eight foreign nationals were killed by terrorists in Israel, and 127 others were injured.

Yet PETA weeps for the ass.

Radio talk show host Tony Macrini got it right when he remarked recently that ``PETA'' was an acronym for ``People Embarrassing the Tidewater Area.''

One can only hope that Newkirk left off her Norfolk return address on that asinine letter to Arafat.

There is not much we can do for these people, their kites aren't set into the winds of reality!!!
Good post!!!
biggrin.gif

It comes from drinking to much of their own bath water and it has their heads all messed up!!!
wink.gif

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back