Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A summary of a Louisiana deer season

KipCarson

This is a long post I know, it’s basically a summary of a four month long deer season. Next season I will probably do it in a semi live hunt thread, but I did not do that this year so this is what I ended up with. If you decide to read all the way through, thank you in advance and if you decide to move on, I do not blame you!

They made me quit... There are few days that I hate more than January 31st, it’s when LDWF decides that it’s the last day of deer season in Louisiana. I am sure my wife is overjoyed, however, I’m always left with that “IF” feeling. IF I had only a few more hours I would have gotten the one I was after, I could have filled that last doe tag, etc. Looking back over the season I can’t say it was a bad year, and can’t really say that it was slow, but it definitely did not turn out like I had hoped.

I keep a basic journal of hunts/places/deer sightings etc. and always like looking back over it at the end of the season. I guess that’s basically what I’m doing in this post, and sharing what an average season for me is like, not counting my out of state hunts. From October 1st to January 31st I was able to log in 61 hunts/sits in a tree stand. During that time I saw a total of 113 deer. Some of the sits were only short 45 minutes bits I squeezed in before heading off to work, and a few were as long as 5 hours on Saturdays where I was able to log in a bit more time. Averaging 1.85 deer per hunt isn’t bad around here, I did go up to five hunts at times without seeing a thing and then saw as many as 11 when conditions were perfect. I saw 11 bucks total, six 1.5 year olds, four 2.5 year olds, and one that I think was a great 3.5 but may have been 4.5. I saw probably around 75-85 pigs also, about par for the course around here. In the end I was able to kill 4 pigs and fill 3 doe tags. But I never was able to connect with any of the bucks I was after.

The action started off pretty early in the afternoon of October 7th as I was walking to my tree stand. I heard a bunch of commotion and rustling in the leaves in the brush ahead of me and soon found myself stalked up within range of a herd of pigs. The closest pig was 30 yards away and somewhere along the flight path the arrow hit a twig, I rushed my shot, or who knows what, but it just grazed his lower front leg. Not a great way to start out the season. The herd scattered with half of them getting downwind and completely spooking but the other half of the herd soon went back to feeding and I was able to stalk back into bow range and the second pig of the day was not as lucky as the first one. She was down in 35 yards and just like that the world became a better place!

1966D9B1-72B5-49EC-B6B3-A67470A8957F.jpeg
Most of October was pretty uneventful after that until the morning of the 26th when I rattled in two of the young two-year-old bucks I saw. They both skirted just outside of bow range but it was a neat experience nonetheless. That afternoon I was doing some scouting and checking a trail camera when I heard pigs coming my direction, thankfully I still had my bow with me and quickly knocked an arrow. Minutes later another pig was destined for a friends barbecue pit.

28B20B9E-4F4F-4777-8384-372670CDEA2F.jpeg

Most of the next month was uneventful. I had a couple of really good bucks that I was hunting and they had consumed all of my attention. I know it annoys a lot of people but I name my deer, in the course of conversations with the guys in my circle it just make conversation easier and they know what deer I’m talking about. “Shooter” was the oldest buck I was after, he was a hefty 8 point and had a deformed left antler.

6E57296E-32F2-49F3-858E-C4465F8C876F.jpeg

The second second quality buck was called “Ocho”. You guessed it, he was Also an 8 pointer. I was getting enough daylight pictures of Ocho that I felt like it was going to be any day before he was mine.

38251A83-0AB7-4415-88A9-3C978F54C152.jpeg

The number three buck was a pretty 10 point, with a split brow tine making him an 11. I never named him he just was referred to as the Ten. He never showed up in daylight at all except for one day. It just so happened that Trump was having a rally in town and I figured since we were basically never a major political player it would most likely be the only time I would ever get to hear a sitting president speak so I opted to leave work early and go to the rally. Bad mistake. As I was standing in line talking to a fellow Hunter I lamented the fact that the conditions were perfect and most likely my bucks would be passing by my stand at that very moment. I was right, Shooter and the ten both passed my tree stand that afternoon. Once I saw he was taunting me while I was at a trump rally the ten became know as “Democrat” from that point on.

08B4D61F-1DF2-4CE7-820B-66DFA58E5F70.jpeg

On November 26th I caught up to Democrat. Almost. Based on wind direction I picked my stand that afternoon and checked a trail camera by it on my way there. That morning at about 10 o’clock democrat had made his second daytime appearance. With him being there in daylight that morning I knew he was most likely bedded close by in a thicket on the neighbors property where I had pics on him routinely traveling to and from. The evening was uneventful but just before shooting light ended I saw movement and Democrat was heading my way. Unfortunately he was moving painfully slow with no interest in going anywhere it seemed. By the time he got in range I was out of shooting light and he was soon downwind. He quickly made sure every deer on the property knew I was there, I don’t think I have ever heard a buck snort that much, he was like a hyperactive doe. I never got another picture of him after that and a week later a biologist friend of ours informed me that he was killed on the adjacent block of public land. Score one for the public land hunters who always gripe about those of us who keep all the deer on the private land Lol! That was the only opportunity the entire season I came close to killing a buck that I wanted. Every other buck I saw was too young and I let them all walk.

Last edited:
The most exciting hunt of the season was on December 1st, that afternoon I saw 10 deer in one hour, and had two young bucks chasing a doe close to my stand. All season long that is the only real rut activity I observed. One thing I can tell you for sure, this isn’t what you see on TV and there are sometimes years at a time that I go and never lay eyes on any chasing activity.

Alright, time to quit playing around and fill the freezer. December 7th rolled around and a doe came by feeding on water oak acorns, the much preferred white oaks must have run out. She came to within 8 yards and I made the shot. After a 90 yard sprint she went down.
Perfect heart shot!

D641CAF3-C428-4445-A1A8-DB18E8A2146B.jpegB82401CF-22A4-4A29-87DC-0B2F8668F8DF.jpeg
December rolled on by with a lot less time to hunt than I’d like. Our coldest weather of the season had happened early November and without some cold temperatures pushing them to their feet to fill their furnace I wasn’t seeing much. Ocho disappeared on camera but Shooter was still around enough to keep my hope alive.

New Year’s Eve once again found me up a tree in my saddle in a water oak flat that had some significant rubs around the edge. No deer that day at all but just before it was time to climb down a large sounder of hogs came through, they got down wind and the older hogs started huffing so I quickly found a shot on a young one and sent pig #3 to his eternal reward. I gave it to a Cajun down the road and he immediately started cleaning it to put on the BBQ pit that very night! Figured he was going to be up all night anyway and might as well make the most of it I guess!

49507AA7-017D-4FF0-AE13-6EE1668E22F8.jpeg

My next hunt was a few days later on the evening of the 4th of January. I already had a climbing stand hanging down by a creek surrounded by more water oaks that had been raining acorns. Shortly after climbing up I saw a doe and fawn feeding my direction, it took the 45 minutes to get to me and when they did I was ready! The shot looked perfect but after initially running she slowed to a walk for 20 yards acting like she was untouched. She stopped and looked around for the fawn and I was very confused because she was acting like it was complete miss. Then thankfully she tipped over just 50 yards from away. It turns out it was another perfect heart shot!
1B5133D6-11F4-46AE-93FC-0562D8870B69.jpeg

Season is quickly winding to a close by now and I am still looking to fill a few more tags. By this point all the bucks have gone awol but fortunately I’ve got a few areas with piles of does. My brother on the other hand has filled two buck tags but can’t kill a doe to save his life. Since I was having doe encounters regularly I brought him with me into one of my spots where I had a regular group of five does feeding on more water Oaks almost every single afternoon. Just before dark he sends me a text telling me about how I gar holed him and he was not seeing anything at all except for one nice nine point that walked by 7 yards away. That’s the way the ball bounces I guess, he did not kill the buck since it was not as good as the other two he had killed but I can guarantee you had I been in that spot I would have been releasing the string! I firmly believe he would see a buck if he hung a stand on a light pole in the Walmart parking lot.

On January 18th I had another opportunity, not the kind I wanted but an opportunity nonetheless. Just before dark I heard some splashing coming through the swamp bottom that quickly turned into a roar of splashing and squealing as a sounder of 15+ pigs came my direction. They were moving by fast but I was able to get an arrow off at the biggest one of the group 15 yards away and after a quick 60 yard run another boar was down. After a few quick phone calls and old high school acquaintance claimed it and another family was made happy with a full freezer.
96B24413-7A64-4947-81D1-F15FFDEFF664.jpeg

By the last week of season I had completely quit getting pictures of all the bucks period. I could hunt really low odds spots where I might find a buck or just go all out trying to fill more doe tags. I chose opportunity over antlers and went to the place where my brother had seen the nine point come by. The buck had not been back but the does were still coming through regularly. I got to the stand a little bit late and as I walked into the bottom sure enough the five does were standing under the water oak tree looking at me. They quickly bid me farewell with white flags flying everywhere. Usually I would slip into a different spot after spooking deer everywhere that late in the evening but I was feeling optimistic something might still come through so I climbed up and tethered my saddle to the tree to hang out a while. It wasn’t long before three more does passed by just out of range. The snorting must not have alarmed everything in the woods that bad. Thankfully just before shooting light ended I heard a sound. Looking down I found there was a doe and fawn that had got to within 15 yards of me in the wet leaves. They came up dead behind me and my hearing very poor for my age. They stopped to feed on a pile of laurel greenbrier I had pulled down from the trees and that was her last meal. She was quartering away at only 12 steps. After a hard sprint she ran out of sight. As I started to trail her my headlamp batteries got weak and the light was extremely dim so I left and went back home to get a better light. I was only gone about 1.5 hours thankfully. I quickly found her at the end of an ample blood trail just under 100 yards away but in that short time coyotes had already eaten a football sized chunk out from her hind quarter. January 23 was the last action I had.

FB2DBD6D-91A6-4B55-ADB1-7290F01EF2C8.jpeg

The next few days of season I hunted as hard as I could but never turned anything else up. Three does and four pigs isn’t bad but I sure would have liked to have gotten my hands on one with some antlers on his head. I am not complaining as there have been years past when our populations were so low that I chose not kill a deer at all. Our numbers have been so high the last few years I have not hesitated to fill 3-4 deer tags. Oh well, that’s hunting and I might catch up to one I am after next year. As they say even a blind hog eventually finds an acorn. As a bowhunter I find many areas where I’m lacking but everywhere I am lacking I make up for with persistence! Now that deer season has ended I’ll be trying to arrow a few more pigs over the summer but for now I’d better bank in some family time! Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:
Congrats on the great season. I really enjoyed your post.

I was lucky enough to put some meat in the freezer and a rack on the wall. I killed 2 bucks and a doe before Dec 1st and then nothing for the rest of the season due to getting hung up on one buck over on Tensas. Seems like I always eat my either sex tag no matter what lol.

Nice summary of your season. I imagined the narrative with a heavy dose of cajun accent :).

As a Westerner, it'd be fun hunting those pigs, but that lack of visibility in the thick cover would drive me crazy.

Congrats on the clean kills, and filling freezers with quality meat!

@Shangobango there are some great bucks in Tensas, I have friends that go every year but I’ve never made the trip. In past years I’ve gotten hung up with tunnel vision chasing one particular deer and left plenty of tags unfilled!

@T Bone no Cajun accent here, I’m to far north in the state for that to have taken root! North and south Louisiana are two different animals in that regard. You would have a blast chasing pigs no doubt, I’m glad at least a few westerners understand how different it is in the thick cover. It definitely requires a different mind set and skill set than hunting most western terrains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back