Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A little Elk home work for you.

old man

Where is this Wyo. Elk headed or coming from. (he is at 13t309475 4952893) which is on the border of unit 38and 37 and near roads 524 and550. headed SE. early in the evening on Oct. 15, 2015. weather clear in low 60s. I looked on Onx maps and google earth and have no idea where he is going or coming from. But i may be hunting this area again this year so if you can tell me this it should help me find elk this year. Thanks for taking the time.

Don't know if this is a joke or not, and I am new here so trying to be respectful. However, posting probable hunt units on forums isn't a good idea. Might end up with 50 trucks at the trailhead this coming season.

I've seen some rather weird questions asked before and I hope it is a joke, because that is sort of like asking what tree to sit next to in the Big Horn NF to see an animal!

10/15? Opening day? My guess is he going from where the hunters are, to where they aren't.

NO this is not a joke. this was my first OYO elk hunt and this was the only elk i saw in two weeks. so figured if someone could give me some clue as where this elk was headed to feed or were he might have been bedded,i could get a better idea were i might look for elk this year. Because of the low success in this unit i doubt anyone would be lined up anywhere. Did not hear a bugle or a shot the two weeks i was there(Oct1st-15nth.

I've seen some rather weird questions asked before and I hope it is a joke, because that is sort of like asking what tree to sit next to in the Big Horn NF to see an animal!

nothing like that.looking for the type of terrain or vegetation. Because unit 37 does not have the steep terrain that unit 38 has and 38 has a much higher success rate, so looking for any info that could help me in a poor unit.

When you are buying left over tags you take what you can get.I only want to hunt Wyo. because i don't have many hunting years left so do not have time to learn other states.

NO this is not a joke. this was my first OYO elk hunt and this was the only elk i saw in two weeks. so figured if someone could give me some clue as where this elk was headed to feed or were he might have been bedded,i could get a better idea were i might look for elk this year. Because of the low success in this unit i doubt anyone would be lined up anywhere. Did not hear a bugle or a shot the two weeks i was there(Oct1st-15nth.

Obviously he's the last one out and is probably headed to the light switch.

In all reality he could be going anywhere for any number of reasons. Don't get too twisted up on logistics, there is some truth to the saying "they're where you find them".

In all reality he could be going anywhere for any number of reasons. Don't get too twisted up on logistics, there is some truth to the saying "they're where you find them".

There is a lot of truth to this saying.
Having hunted with my brother in AZ for his elk 3 times in the last 10 years same season, every time we have found elk in completely different areas every time.

Last edited:
As said above , if it was opening day the elk was getting away from the cars, trucks, atv's, hunters to a location he was comfortable in with out all the hunters.
So look at google earth, maps , etc and find 'spots' where it is difficult to get to that has food, water and ridges (I like ridges) and get to those spots to hunt.

Last edited:
Considering there's a few wide open fields (food) and a creek right below there (water), I'd say he was probably moving between his bed and his food. That draw doesn't look characteristically great, but has the appropriate blend of cover and feed to support a cow population. If I were you, I'd go scout from the high ground south of there, and spend more time in spots with less roads (south/SE of that junction). There looks to be some good terrain here, but I have to imagine it's chock full of dirt bikes/quads, which might drastically reduce the elk population here.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back