Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A little common sense

Horses mean old crippled farts like me can still hunt a few more years without hunting the same ground as the those of the uninjured youth. That and it disperses the hunting pressure.

Amen, My big game hunting career in the mountains would be complete without horses. I enjoy immensely doing everything it requires to take and use horses for elk hunting. The days settle into a rhythm of horse chores, tacking up the horse, riding to where you intend to hunt, etc.

What may or may not be appreciated by some is the time spent thru out the year training and riding your horses, so that when they are used for hunting, it comes together.

Sure wish I had a couple good mules. For years when we camped at one spot close to a Wilderness access trail we’d keep an eye on the rig and 8 horse trailer of some guys we became acquainted with. They’d ride back in 7 miles to camp and hunt. We’d share meals, drinks and stories together. They’d come out to get more feed, spent the night and in the morning before they rode back they packed a spike out my pard shot that morning. Good folks. I cooked a huge breakfast up for us all before they left. Elk was shot at 7:30 and packed back to camp by 10am. Awesome day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back