A-Frame wheat field goose hunting

okie archer

I have permission from a neighbor to hunt his wheat field. The geese hit the field pretty much every morning to eat the wheat. About 80 big Canada's and a single Snow with them. The field is mostly flat with no cover.
Can I get by with using a A-Frame? The blind is brushed with dead brown Johnson grass and the field is bright green wheat around 2-3 inches tall.

Last edited:
I’ve know people who haul blinds into the field and brush them in with cedars. Not saying it’s as good as layout blind but they kill geese.

In the right situation the absolutely blow the doors off of layouts. If there is any sort of field edge with vegetation that is going to be your best option for the A frame. Throw it on a fence line full of kosha or cedars or tall grass or shrubs or whatever. Brush in with naturally occurring plant material. If you just go with just what you've got on there now your probably going to get busted.
I've been on some absolute slammer hunts out of A frames. The key is brushing in with whats there already. And when you think you're brushed in well enough, add a little bit more.

Post up a a screenshot of Google maps of the field. Mark where the geese are landing and give us wind direction. Every situation is different and calls for different approach no way to answer this without more details.

I have permission from a neighbor to hunt his wheat field. The geese hit the field pretty much every morning to eat the wheat. About 80 big Canada's and a single Snow with them. The field is mostly flat with no cover.
Can I get by with using a A-Frame? The blind is brushed with dead brown Johnson grass and the field is bright green wheat around 2-3 inches tall.
The guys I hunt with put A-frames in wide open fields all season long without issue. They've sworn off layouts completely.

The green pin is about where the geese are everyday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201-205835.png
    Screenshot_20230201-205835.png
    604.4 KB · Views: 20
Either way if you git somebody who can call good and I mean good you could probably set up on that edge and pull them that little bit if not the middle is what it'll have to be more than likely. Brush the shit out of that thing and try to get the grass up taller than the blind if that makes sense. Set it up to side shoot them. My two cents

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of a blaze orange vest placed strategically in a field. You would be amazed how you can manipulate birds with one or two of those....

I know a guy who had a couple flat bills think they were going to call birds off of him from a neighboring field one time. 2 blaze orange vests on sticks on his property cured that issue......

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of a blaze orange vest placed strategically in a field. You would be amazed how you can manipulate birds with one or two of those....

I know a guy who had a couple flat bills think they were going to call birds off of him from a neighboring field one time. 2 blaze orange vests on sticks on his property cured that issue......
I tried to do it with full body coyote, they pretty much landed on top of it. 🤦‍♂️

I've parked a truck in the field to keep them off a section.
Truck was just over the hill so it could not be seen from where we were hunting; worked great.

I will give the blaze orange vest a try too!

One time I had geese hitting a fields across the road and the one we were hunting. Parked two trucks and decoy trailers in the other field never slowed them down lol

We setup A frames where and has no issues. Ideally we find a small dip to drop it in but doesn’t seem to matter just another small bush out in the field. Later this fall when the leaves had dropped off we even started using pine boughs

We used to kill geese like mad laying in any slight indentation in the field like an irrigator wheel rut, and just covering up with a camouflage mesh. Then put big full body geese decoys on all four sides. Set the decoys so they are landing into the wind and not looking right at you. If that can’t work then set more decoys in front of you between you and the landing zone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back