A Few Questions: First Year Hunting Dog

Coop

Tikka isn't much of a pup anymore as she turns a year old this week. While we have been having a great time this summer, I am really looking forward to getting her out into the field a few times this fall. My first question is about vests for both upland and waterfowl hunting. There are a lot of options out there for orange upland vests and neoprene waterfowl vests, so I was curious if anyone has any input on their favorites? The plan was to just buy at Scheels or Cabela's, but I figured I would check here first for recommendations. On that same note, do most carry a field trauma kit for their pup? Any recommendations on a kit that has everything that's needed and doesn't break the bank? Much appreciated!

1661272488383.png

Tikka isn't much of a pup anymore as she turns a year old this week. While we have been having a great time this summer, I am really looking forward to getting her out into the field a few times this fall. My first question is about vests for both upland and waterfowl hunting. There are a lot of options out there for orange upland vests and neoprene waterfowl vests, so I was curious if anyone has any input on their favorites? The plan was to just buy at Scheels or Cabela's, but I figured I would check here first for recommendations. On that same note, do most carry a field trauma kit for their pup? Any recommendations on a kit that has everything that's needed and doesn't break the bank? Much appreciated!

View attachment 235481
1. Why are you already committed to a vest?
2. I built my own trauma kit, but it includes pliers, combat gauge, compression wrap, and benadryl.
3. why?!
1661273541157.png

Ditto to Neffa. Build your own kit. A little googlin and you'll be fine. Nothing you can't get at a local farm and ranch store.

Vest for upland I would say is more of a skid plate, and even that can depend on the dog. For upland, a lab is probably going to be okay most the year. Unless you find yourself out further west and get into plenty of cactus and yucca country. My go to --> Mendota Skid Plate

For waterfowl, a vest is pretty useful. If you're in a picked cornfield it will protect from possible punctures and cuts from stalks. In water, it helps give insulation. Also, it will trap some water between the dog and vest which will warm up via the dogs body heat and help keep her a little warmer. Also, probably goes without saying but helps protect against ice if ice is present.

1. Why are you already committed to a vest?
2. I built my own trauma kit, but it includes pliers, combat gauge, compression wrap, and benadryl.
3. why?!
View attachment 235485
1. Mainly for visibility during upland seasons because I just don't trust other people. As for neoprene, I will be hunting in colder weather in the future, but that likely won't happen this year.
2. That's what I am leaning toward, so I will likely go that direction!
3. Grad school for both the wife and I. Omaha for 5 years didn't sound that bad back then...now I can't wait to get out of this place for good. 9 more months and we will be putting down roots in Helena. Seems to meet our built-up hunting and fishing needs pretty well!!

Following. I'm in a similar situation w my lab (1.5 yrs and first gun dog) and have similar questions. Planning to add some stuff to my truck first aid kit, and interested to see what folks have added to theirs for their dogs.

I picked up one of these vests bc it's highly rated...also probably bc I was bored in the off-season. 🤷‍♂️ haven't used it much other than short break-in periods bc its been so hot,

We hunted upland some last year with no vest. It was fine but definitely some visibility issues in high grass. Not 100% committed to the vest yet

I also ordered some of the flat dog tags from gun dog supply and riveted them to a blaze orange collar from which I cut off the D ring, so nothing hanging from collar that could get caught on anything.

Another question I have for the grizzled old hands here:

Hot tips on multi-day road trips with the pup? Best practices for hotel/motel stays or camping? Assume you bring pups crate into the room with you?

I'd like to do a few days in northern IA, SD, or MN sometime this fall/winter.

Mostly, I think I'm just bored/ antsy and ready to get out there this fall to burn off some energy 😅

Hot tips on multi-day road trips with the pup? Best practices for hotel/motel stays or camping? Assume you bring pups crate into the room with you?
Let the dog sleep on the bed with you, or get a two queen room. They're going to work 50x harder than you are going to, therefore they deserve the bed.

Also, if you're in a hotel/motel that doesn't allow dogs on the bed, you're in the wrong place.

My dogs don’t wear vests but they’re pointing dogs running big for Chukar.

I create my own emergency kit. Forceps and a way to stop bleeding would be important. My emergency plan would be to stabilize and get home/vet depending on the situation.

My only emergency that went to the next level involved a porcupine fight. Dog was stable but he wouldn’t pull anymore quills. Expensive vet visit. He lost vision in an eye and died the next fall at 7.

Attachments

• 423F53FC-9995-426E-A1B5-A00E429F5F33.jpeg
    423F53FC-9995-426E-A1B5-A00E429F5F33.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 39
My dogs don’t wear vests but they’re pointing dogs running big for Chukar.

I create my own emergency kit. Forceps and a way to stop bleeding would be important. My emergency plan would be to stabilize and get home/vet depending on the situation.

My only emergency that went to the next level involved a porcupine fight. Dog was stable but he wouldn’t pull anymore quills. Expensive vet visit. He lost vision in an eye and died the next fall at 7.
HOLY SHIT man, that's the worst porci damage I've ever seen.

HOLY SHIT man, that's the worst porci damage I've ever seen.
Yep. He pointed two groups of Huns on the hike back to the truck. I killed four birds over him. I ran to beat him to the birds for the retrieve.

I’m sure he died from a migrating quill the vet couldn’t find.

Yep. He pointed two groups of Huns on the hike back to the truck. I killed four birds over him. I ran to beat him to the birds for the retrieve.

I’m sure he died from a migrating quill the vet couldn’t find.
Well, I'm terribly sorry, that's entirely too young to lose a good dog.

Following. I'm in a similar situation w my lab (1.5 yrs and first gun dog) and have similar questions. Planning to add some stuff to my truck first aid kit, and interested to see what folks have added to theirs for their dogs.

I picked up one of these vests bc it's highly rated...also probably bc I was bored in the off-season. 🤷‍♂️ haven't used it much other than short break-in periods bc its been so hot,

We hunted upland some last year with no vest. It was fine but definitely some visibility issues in high grass. Not 100% committed to the vest yet

Commit! Just do it. Visibility is NEVER a bad thing for a hunting dog in front of the dog. I don't care if you hunt alone or with gangs of high-school neophytes. 99.9% of the time you don't need the vest, but the 1 in 1000 time that you do, YOU DO! You cannot know where or when you will encounter that one weird flush in that unusual habitat at the odd angle in a nasty wind, when your dog does something he has never done before. That could save his life, and it could definitely save you a life-time of grief. I know too many people that have shot their dogs and I don't consider them particularly bad gun handlers.

You will also benefit from being able to see you dog and save you having to fuss with your GPS collar system or a whistle or hollering. And that keeps the birds calm and everything much more pleasant.

I hate hunter Orange, but I know it is a good thing. We don't go without it in the uplands. Not ever.

I buy my vests from LLBean, Orvis, Cabela's, Gun Dog Supply (on-line), and Amazon. Lately, my favorit Orvis vests seem to be discontinued so I've been using some from Amazon that are stamped as Brownings. They have been very good, reasonably durable, easy to put on, nonbinding etc.

Make sure your young dog can be an old dog one day. Gus 2009 2.JPGGus on a stump collection.jpg

Last edited:
Is that baby Gus?

You guys have convinced me to look for a dog vest...
Absolutely! He was about 4 or 5 days short of his 4-month birthday on Opening Morning in 2009.

Just an example why I like vests from last year:

Gus was behind me on the right for some reason checking out something. A grouse flushed to my right from the top of a bank (old roadway?) I was walking along. No shot, but a second one flushed right behind it. That bird flew down hill as I swung on him. But out of the corner of my right eye, I saw a flash of orange streaking in to the field of play. Probalby a safe shot, but not for sure, and I pulled up as Gus closed on the flushing birds along the bank which he had probably been tracking. Not many days when you have a shot where your dog will run an elevated ridge edge from behind and a bird flushes down the steep face giving you a steep downhill shot over the lip. You can't anticipate that specific instance, but you can plan for it and other unplanned situations more generally with a little bit of extra visibility.

Without his vest, he disappears into cattails and especially fall tallgrass prairie like he was wearing a ghillie suite.

7EkLvg4.jpg

PS. And just in case you are on public with any asshole deer/coyote hunters with an itch to kill something, wearing that orange vest pretty much removes the "I thought it was a buck or a coyote" BS excuse. This can be a problem in certain areas.

I have used the Sylmar Body Guard vest for years as well as the Avery dog neoprene vest. Both work well. You'll likely need to cut the neoprene vest to fit so it's not rubbing under the armpits.
YES. Rubbing under the arm pits can cause major problems.
I've been through about 8 neoprene vests over the years.
It is rare that a vest perfectly fits the dog...
so diver's neoprene cement and darting for custom fit.
muddy_retriever.jpg

My current favorite is MoMarsh vest which is adjustable for fitting the dog. Much easier custom fit.

In addition to forceps, I recommend the following items:
1) leash or rope for removing leghold or conibear trap (cable cutter for snares)
2) hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dishwashing soap mixture if hunting in skunk country
3) surgical stapler if hunting in barbed wire country
4) phone number of 24-hour emergency vet

I run English Setters, never used a vest, never given it any consideration. On my person I carry a leatherman multi tool for quills and what ever. If needed, I would use my belt as a tourniquet. I have not needed to in thirty plus years of running dogs.

I would think a dog would retain more body heat running in a vest. Early upland is warm enough without an overcoat. I've hunted more than a few times in sub zero weather, the dogs do just fine as long as they are hunting. I can certainly see the value of a vest for waterfowl.

Regarding the dog getting shot. There are two mistakes by the hunter/ trainer. Don't shoot low flying birds. Also, a dog should be trained to STOP at the flight of a bird. Yes, it is easier train for a pointing dog, since they are stopped on point. There are many reasons why a dog standing still at the flush is beneficial. Safety for the dog and hunter is a big one. A dog could easily take a hunters's legs out, running past him/her while fixated on chasing a flying bird. More than occasionally, there are more birds in an area. If the dog will stand still, there is a good chance to get another shot or two.

Came across this pic in my phone last night. One of the few times I ran my dog last year without a skid plate last year and it ended up costing me (and him).
Another thing is to remember to check your dog often while you’re hunting. I stopped to get him some water while we were out and checked him and to my surprise he was laid open a bit. I never took my eye off him and never saw him wince or whimper or yip when this would have happened. Dogs are tough and will often go a while before showing any pain. It’s up to you to monitor them for stuff like this.
0D9A3E16-0CD7-4032-8874-56ABF7691B27.jpeg

Back