Yeti GOBOX Collection

A different kind of science. The University of Idaho/IDFG joint report on RESIDENT hunter crowding perceptions

44hunter45

An interesting read. Some of you who read it may decide you want to try a less crowded zone next year. I would keep in mind that crowding is related to demand. A lot of the zones with fewer hunters also have fewer elk.

That may be a private URL - If it doesn't work, try this one:

I didn’t read it all but not surprised to see that people have more encounters and crowding in more open southern units where you can actually see more than a few yards. I did drive a Clearwater region road the other afternoon and was happy I wasn’t trying to find a spot to hunt as every pull, out, wide spot or gate had a vehicle in it

I didn’t read it all but not surprised to see that people have more encounters and crowding in more open southern units where you can actually see more than a few yards. I did drive a Clearwater region road the other afternoon and was happy I wasn’t trying to find a spot to hunt as every pull, out, wide spot or gate had a vehicle in it
More than once I've punched a tag because my plan A spot had a rig or two and I found another spot. The elk were there at the plan B spot for the same reason.

This past summer I spent a lot of time exploring some areas that used to be elk central in the Panhandle in the early 90s. Quite stunning how little elk sign is there compared to some other areas I have elk hunted in the Panhandle. Over Labor day weekend there was one stretch with 20-30 miles of (rough) road and only one other hunter. We did see a cow elk but no bugles. I wonder if it got busier later in the month. I want to go back and hunt there, but I also want to have a chance at shooting an elk...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back