$900 to $1300 new rifle

Just get a savage 110 lightweight storm. Its under 6lbs, will go hole for hole with factory ammo, and its cheap. Win win win.

I just ordered a Tikka Roughtech. Fluted barrel and threaded with a break and it's in that price range.

Bergara makes a nice rifle, very good quality for what you are paying. They have among the slickest, smoothest bolts that I’ve ever operated on a rifle. I bought a B-14 Ridge last year, and as great as it is, it’s no mountain rifle. Fully dressed with scope mounts, rings, hunting style scope (I say hunting style, because scopes that are geared toward hunting are made to be lighter ) the thing weighs damn near 11 lbs. That might not sound like much, but believe me, if you’re humping it up and down steep terrain it gets to be heavy after a while. So my question for you is, what type of hunting are you planning to do?

If you’re going to be hunting wide open plains, a rifle like the Bergara will work out just fine. If you are going to be hunting up in steep rugged mountains like in some areas that we have here in Southern California, you’ll want something lighter. After my first foray with the Bergara, I ended up buying a Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather; essentially a Featherweight with stainless hardware and synthetic B&C stock. Fully dressed up, it weighs about 8.25 lbs. I think I paid about 1150 for it. If you don’t mind used, Sako is another good option. I bought a near mint AV, what many enthusiasts consider a much better rifle than the current 85 for around 1100. It weighs about a pound more than the Winchester fully dressed up.

These are just a couple options for you, there are many more. You just need to figure out what type of hunting you’ll be using it for.

Last edited:
+1 for the Backcountry

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry in 300WM (with a Howa barreled action) and absolutely love it. I think I paid around $1100 for it, and it's a great value for the price. Cerakoted, lightweight, nice factory stock, fluted barrel. My only point of caution would be the fluted barrel, which tends to heat up really quickly with the magnum rounds, so when you're dialing it in, it's good to take your time and let the barrel cool.
Did you get the Weatherby Backcountry or Highcountry? I thought the Backcountry was a Mark V and has a carbon stock and the msrp is over $2k. Reason I ask is I am considering a high country right now and the msrp is $949 and they are typically priced less than that.

Did you get the Weatherby Backcountry or Highcountry? I thought the Backcountry was a Mark V and has a carbon stock and the msrp is over $2k. Reason I ask is I am considering a high country right now and the msrp is $949 and they are typically priced less than that.

This is the one he and I were talking about, but looks like it's not in their 2021 line...can probably get it at a discount now?

Euro Optics has Tikkas starting at $579 in a variety of calibers.
gracies for the link. I have been looking for a compact 243 to start my daughter on next year and I couldn't turn down that price. Not after seeing what the used market looks like.

I very much appreciate the original post, but does it have to be new? I purchased a mark v wood stock used .270 from a reputable dealer. Under 1k and worth every penny.

The choices you have narrowed down to for yourself are all excellent choices, but I only have personal experience with the Browning X-bolt and that would be my choice again if I was looking to purchase another rifle.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back