Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

7mmRem Vs. 358 Norma for Elk

IndyJay

Don't want to start a schit storm just seeking other's opinions and experiences... will be headed west this fall and will likely be taking the above mentioned rifles... 7mag will be loaded with 160gr. Partitions and the 358 with 250gr. Woodleigh Soft Points. Shots will be limited to my self-imposed max range of 300yrds. They could be across open spaces or in timber.

Assuming equal accuracy, equal confidence in the guns, etc... which gun and why?

Thanks!

If you have equal confidence in both rifles at the extended ranges you're mentioning, then bigger is always better when you're talking about elk.

My personal preference in this case would be the 7mm. Usually when you are shooting across canyons or at extended ranges out west, you are shooting up wind or cross wind. The 7mm 160 grain bullet has a better ballistic coefficient and travels a little faster than the 250 grain 358 from the Norma Mag. That equates to less deviation from wind drift. If you keep shots to under about 150 yards or hunt in timber or flat country, the Norma Mag would be the preferred round.

:cool:

Indy,
Bigger holes are better in some cases.
:D
WD
358group082005001.jpg

I've recently loaded up some Woodleigh 235 grainers in my .375 H&H, and found them to be extremely accurate. So much so, that I think it will be my bullet of choice in that particular caliber. Haven't tried it on elk yet. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to use my 7 on an elk if I just happened to be carrying it.

I use 160gr Nosler Partitions in my 7 mag. for most of my hunting. Haven't elk hunted with it yet, but i wouldn't think twice about using it. Besides the 7 mag was designed for elk hunting.

I have a friend that elk hunted his who life with a 7mm. He probably has killed over two dozen bulls with that gun. Twenty years ago, he got to ready about one of those great African hunters and bought a Reminton single shot Model 7 (?) in .330 caliber. He claimed he never got over one shot in the timber and that was enough.

Well, He shot a 5x5 bull that year through the lungs and the bull whirled and ran up the hill. The bull made a hundred yards then stopped and turned broadside again, so he gave him another one where he lived. The bull whirled and ran over a little hill and died.

My buddy sold that gun and went back to what he knew or thought was a sure, first time killer--the 7mm. |oo I tried to tell him you can't compare one dead bull to twenty-five others but he sold the gun anyways. Based on his experience, I'd say the 7mm is among the killings guns in the elk woods today.

This buddy of mine has a friend he grew up with, as they use to hunt and fish the Uintas together. They also went to Nam together and his buddy was a sniper. He came back, bought a .270 winchester and has probably killed thirty or forty bulls with that gun. He'll tell you that that is a sure enough elk killer as well.hump

Me, on the other hand, always used a little more horse power. I switched to a .300 Weatherby with reloads back in the mid-80s and used that gun until I quit killing elk. Like those two guys, I'd say the .300 is an elk killing machine.:D

But like running hounds, it's more the man behind the dog than the dog; likewise, a elk hunter that has learned the game and knows his rifle will always be more successful.

Keep'em treed!
ike

Indy,
Once again I can tell you that when my .358 goes off, things fall down!
250 gr Partition, 2 holes, a little far back but still forward of the diaphram. 2 steps and the cow was history.
By the way it's coming out at 2861 fps.
WD

Wally Dog,
I would go with the 358 Norma.
Why? cause I always like a little more horse power.There is no doubt that eith will be good elk guns.It's mostly personal choice than need.
BBJ

both are great elk guns i had a 7mm and it killed every elk i shot.
my brother shoots a 308norma and its killed every elk its shot.
my brother has killed more elk than me because he has went elk hunting more than me.
i now shoot a 300 mag and it killed every elk too.
the gun i had that i wasn't satisfied with was a 270 weatherby mag.
i shot a 5x5 bull centered between the eyes at 75 yards its head snapped back and he kept on walking. i hit him again in the black tip of his nose and into his neck and he kept walking. then he turned sideways and i put three in the boiler room befor he went down.
i know about not shooting them in the head but i have killed every elk i ever shot with a head shot except that one.
that first shot went in centered between his eyes bounced out 1" above that nicked the base of his horn then went threw both sides of his one ear.
the secound shot hit the black tip of his nose went threw and cut his juguler and out the back of his neck beside the spine.
the third went threw the heart and lungs, now i reload. he spun arround and headed for the timber. i put two more in the boiler room from the oppaset side.he went down but tried to get up i put one more in his neck.
that 270 weatherby kicked like a mule it hurt worse on my side than the bulls i think. when i got home i traded it for a weatherby 300 win mag.
ever sence every elk has dropped in its tracks.
i would have kept the 7 mag but i got it buy a buddy pawning it to me and when he didn't pay me back i kept it. well several arguments and a couple of cristmases late i gave it back to him for cristmas.
it wasn't two weeks later he pawned it to a pawn shop and lost it.
he is dead now the wiskey got him thats why i'm a anti drinker.
i see already i've lived up to the signature in this post sorry jose,buzz and the rest the spell checkers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back