7mm ultra loads

Bob, These are loads that we worked in a custom rifle with a 27 inch barrel. They all use Fed 215 primers and RP Brass. They were worked up for accuracy rather than max velocities. The velocities listed were measured with an Oehler Mod. 35P chrono on a warm (92 degrees)morning. Everything listed grouped at .7 inches or less.

140 Nosler BT/Part.; 97.Grains; H-1000; 3440

150 Ballistic tip; 91.5 gr.; H-1000; 3356

160 gr. part.; 90.4 gr.; H-1000; 3292

As with any load, I suggest backing off 5% and working up. We also tried IMR 7828 and got better velocities but didn't have time to work up accuracy loads. It got too hot. I'll let you know when we do the next batch.
:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 24 July 2001 16:35: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

90 - 100 grains of powder per shot? For a 7mm? Mama-Mia, I should have invested in powder companies before Remington announced their RUM cartridges! :eek:

Nodak, If you consider that the velocities are only about 50 to 100 fps greater that the 7mm WBY, This is not a wise investment. Even Remington has announced their new "short ultra mag". In 30 cal and 7mm. From what I've read, the short ones are about the same velocity as the Wby, but they use almost 35% less powder than the origianl Ultra mag. Even the gun writers that were paid to hunt with these things in Africa didn't have anything really good to say about them. Well, except for the .375 Ultra Mag. They did comment that it got evuivalent velocities to the 378 WBY. I guess that's good. :cool:

Dan, I agree with you 100% about the RUM cartridges. Unfortunately, lots of people evidently have bought the whole marketing thing, because I see tons of the .300 and .338 RUM chambered rifles on dealers' shelves, and they tell me that they are selling well.

Sooo...I think that the powder companies will be selling lots of powder to feed these 60 - 70 rounds per pound of powder monsters.

OBTW, I've fired a .300 RUM with 180 grain Remington factory ammo, the muzzle blast is truly impressive.

Too bad you can't kill an elk with muzzle blast.

How fast did the bullet go? ;)
:D

Some marketing whiz sure made is money with those.

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 24 July 2001 20:56: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Nodak, If the dealers are telling you that the RUM's are selling well , that is just a selling ploy, because they are FIBBING to you. Ol Bob

Hey Bob, When you start seeing the REM SUM on the market, I would sure be interested in looking into one of those. If the reports that I've read are even partially true, the model 700 with the 24 inch tube should produce 300 WBY ballistics. I can only hope that the 7mm RSUM does the same. In any event, I haven't started my WSM project yet, so I may wait for the RSUM. :cool:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back