Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

7mm rm or 300wm for close range

I see that I'm a little late to this thread as the OP posted that he already bought a .300 Win. That's a fairly popular cartridge here in Montana. I know that I pick up more .300 Win brass at our range than .300 Weatherby brass that I'm hoping to find.

About 10 years ago I was looking for a new .30 caliber rifle primarily for elk hunting. I debated between a .300 Win and a .300 Wby. I chose the .300 Wby and have no regrets. I've taken it on a number of international hunts, and it is my primary elk rifle. I've had good results with both Barnes 168 grain TSX and TTSX bullets on elk and a variety of other critters. A couple of years ago I started loading 180 grain TTSX bullets for it, and now that is my hunting bullet for everything with that rifle.

When I first started hunting my only centerfire rifle was a .30-06 and I would shoot 150 grain bullets for deer and antelope, and 180 grain bullets for elk. That quickly became an exercise in re-zeroing every time I wanted to hunt something different, so now I just work up one bullet that shoots good in each of my rifles, and I stick with that bullet for everything that I hunt with that rifle. There is enough overlap in the different cartridges in the rifles that I have and I have enough confidence in my shooting that if I have to use a smaller cartridge for a larger animal of a larger cartridge for a smaller animal, I just do it.

Twenty years ago I also bought a 7 mm RM and I have also used it on a number of international hunts, along with deer, antelope, and elk here in Montana. This rifle has a stainless barrel and action in a plastic stock so it is my primary foul weather rifle. My hunting bullet for everything that I hunt with it is the 160 grain Nosler Accubonds.

From what I am reading hear about the game and you wanting a great rifle for both up close and relatively longer distance.......
The .300 is a great cartridge and my favorite. But I like the .300 mostly for places I will likely be shooting over 300yrds.
You may want to strongly consider the .338 win mag for what you are after.
I love the .338 for seriously quick killing power and brushy thick terrain.
Few animals will require a blood trail after a 200-250gr. bullet passes through them.

Reactions: Mou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back