7mm-08 Interlocks for Elk

WalkingBird

So I was at the range the other day messing with my rifles like always, and my M70 really doesn’t like the Accubonds I was hopingit would, but the Horandy American Whitetail load turned in a .5” group at 100. What do folks think of this bullet for elk? Nothing pressing as I don’t have a tag, but I’m still curious

They have worked beautifully on 250+ lbs. whitetails! I'm assuming anything under 400, should be effective on elk.

Nice, the 139/140 gr loads shine in the 7mm-08. I normally use a 150 gr bullet, and everything I have read s as that the 150 gr is a good elk round. I am sure that the 139/140 he would work just fine. Shot placement!

I've used them in 270 with 130gns for red stags and sambar with no issues.

I'm bloody loving the norma oryx at the moment. In my 275 rigby (ballistic twin to 7mm08) 156gn oryx are shooting .8" groups and are just sledge hammers on game.

=
They have worked beautifully on 250+ lbs. whitetails! I'm assuming anything under 400, should be effective on elk.

I've got a hard 400 yard limit for myself, but this particular rifle I try and keep everything under 300, hell the last buck I killed with it was at 17 when I pulled the trigger. I was shooting Nosler BTs then

So I was at the range the other day messing with my rifles like always, and my M70 really doesn’t like the Accubonds I was hopingit would, but the Horandy American Whitetail load turned in a .5” group at 100. What do folks think of this bullet for elk? Nothing pressing as I don’t have a tag, but I’m still curious

Any particular weight bullet? In 7x57 I used to shoot 154gr Hornady RN and wouldn't hesitate to try it again in a 7mm-08. I think better would be a flat base 160gr bullet though. I've hunted with Hornady bullet's since the early 1970's and have never had a bullet fail me! Oh, I've never hunted big game with any premium bullet or bullet with a plastic tip! Cup and core bullet's need to be carefully chosen but for hunting there really are no better bullet's!

=

I've got a hard 400 yard limit for myself, but this particular rifle I try and keep everything under 300, hell the last buck I killed with it was at 17 when I pulled the trigger. I was shooting Nosler BTs then
That's only fair to the animal! Good on you. My buck in '15 was so close I could damn near poke him with the barrel. That's always good for getting the blood pumping.

I've shot a truck load of whitetail with the 139 grain interlock and several mulies with the 139 and 154's in my 280 Rem. My elk rifle shots 180 spbt into .5 MOA. I don't really have a need to use anything else as Hornady Interlock has never fail to do the job. I do however love to spend my psychotherapy time at the bench playing with other bullets. Currently working on Ballistic Tips, Accubond and Partitions.
My belted .30 will keep 5 rounds in a 3 inch group at 300 yards. Don't know what it will do beyond that cuz down here in Florida you can't shoot any farther then that with out killing a tourist.

You will do fine with that ammo. The 139 shoots great in my 7 mags, but I never used it on elk. I usually shot deer with that bullet and used either 175 Interlocks, or 160 Partitions for elk. I never had anything but stellar performance on lots of deer, even at 7 mag velocities.

I would think it could work. Personally, the American Whitetail load shoots pretty inaccurately for me in my Savage 7-08 (2-3 inch groups). Every rifle is different and one man's rifle is going to like ammo that another man's rifle hates. I think if I was going to use a bullet in the 140 gr range it would be awfully hard to pull me away from the Sierra Gameking.

My girlfriend shoots a Savage 11 in 7/08 and her rifle hates those american whitetails, but will cloverleaf AccuBonds without breaking a sweat. My M70 shoots huntable (1.5"-2") groups with Core-lokts too, and her target looks like someone took a poke with buckshot with that same load. Each Rifle is certainly unique

My girlfriend shoots a Savage 11 in 7/08 and her rifle hates those american whitetails, but will cloverleaf AccuBonds without breaking a sweat. My M70 shoots huntable (1.5"-2") groups with Core-lokts too, and her target looks like someone took a poke with buckshot with that same load. Each Rifle is certainly unique

My shotgun pattern is tighter than my groups with the American whitetail ammo in my 7-08. Lol

My .308 won't shoot American Whitetail ammo worth a darn, but its the only one I've ever seen that won't. My wife's .270 is sub MOA with the 140gr AW. My daughter's .243 shoots it about MOA.

My father killed a moose with 162 interloks, from a 7mmRM and the seemed to perform well enough. He is using them again this year on our moose hunt. The 140 should be good to go from a 7mm08

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back