6.5 prc Tikka build

Sorry, I miss read your post. Yes, once you get the old barrel of its as simple as it can be. Just need the action wrench. Torque wrench and torque to 55 foot pounds. Once I got the old barrel off took about 15 minutes to put it completely back together as it looks in the pictures.
Good to know- pretty nifty! I'll be curious to know how it shoots! Looking good thus far.

The clamp type action wrenches are a lot better for removing barrels. The kind that engage the locking lugs can stress the action enough to tweak it. Usually with the clamp type it only takes a couple good wraps with a soft mallet and the action will break free.

Are the proof barrels short chambered?

The clamp type action wrenches are a lot better for removing barrels. The kind that engage the locking lugs can stress the action enough to tweak it. Usually with the clamp type it only takes a couple good wraps with a soft mallet and the action will break free.

Are the proof barrels short chambered?
Not sure what you mean by short chambered? I tried with the clamp style action wrench and with the other one with an impact on it at the same time. I decided that the old barrel wasn't worth a new action. I know it can be done but you get to the point of what is my time and effort worth compared to a used barrel.

Not sure what you mean by short chambered? I tried with the clamp style action wrench and with the other one with an impact on it at the same time. I decided that the old barrel wasn't worth a new action. I know it can be done but you get to the point of what is my time and effort worth compared to a used barrel.
When you buy a pre fit barrel they usually leave the chamber .010" to .020" short so the end user can finish ream the chamber to headspace to their rifle. Other companies full depth chamber and leave the barrel tenon short so you have to bump the shoulder to headspace. Either way headspace gauges are a must.

When you buy a pre fit barrel they usually leave the chamber .010" to .020" short so the end user can finish ream the chamber to headspace to their rifle. Other companies full depth chamber and leave the barrel tenon short so you have to bump the shoulder to headspace. Either way headspace gauges are a must.
If it still needs to go to a gunsmith to be finished that kind of defeats the purpose of a prefit barrel. I'm going to check everything before I go to the range. I won't be able to get it to the range until late June, Anniversary coming up this weekend then going on vacation. Tikka has strict tolerance's on their actions. That's why you can get a prefit barrel that doesn't require a barrel nut. If it doesn't work as advertised I will send it back and do something cheaper. For $900 it shouldn't need to go to a gunsmith.

Made up 8 bullets today. Ran down to the gun range. Set the auto dispenser to 56 gn of h1000. Some ended up 55.9 and some 56.1. didn't really care because I just wanted to get some down range. Put the 140gn Berger elite hunters in. First shot no idea where it went. Checked everything and all was good. 2nd shot is in the center of the target but pretty low. Adjusted scope moved to bottom left put 2 down and adjusted scope to the right. Last 4 are there at approximately 1 moa. Leaving for vacation Saturday morning so I haven't been able to do any real load development yet. Still have to get the bottom metal and magazine. Even with the really long bullets I didn't hit the lands until the bullet would barely be in the case. I brought it back 10 thousands.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_194420.jpg
    IMG_20200531_194420.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
after a long summer of messing around and trying different bullets and powder I finally made it to the long range. Rezeroed the scope at 200 yards. I didn't know the you could only get 2 complete revolutions out of the vx5 3-15 no matter how much is left for elevation. There was so much mirage it was difficult to see the holes on the target. First shot on 350 was high. Adjusted 2nd was money to verify I did a third and it was money. Had targets set up at 500 but since ot was very difficult to see at 350 I just skipped 500 and went to 750 where I had a 6 inch steel target set up. Adjusted for the difference between 350 and 750 instead of the 0 at 200. The adjustment was right on. Hit it every time except once when the target came to rest sideways.

Loading 139 gn lapua, 58.7 gn h1000, mv 3080, federal large rifle primers. Shooting from a bench using a bipod only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back