6.5 Creemoor 120 Hornady GMX load on Elk?

Here is a thread specifically on my actual experience shooting a cow elk at 400 yds and recovering the bullet:

My conclusion: worked great at 400 yards, but I personally would not want to go past 400 yards on an elk.

<400 yards will still do all I can to make sure it's a clear, clean shot opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    537.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4083.jpeg
    IMG_4083.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Here is a thread specifically on my actual experience shooting a cow elk at 400 yds and recovering the bullet:

My conclusion: worked great at 400 yards, but I personally would not want to go past 400 yards on an elk.

<400 yards will still do all I can to make sure it's a clear, clean shot opportunity.
[/QUdose.

Was 3050 your chrono'd muzzle velocity?

Good question. The 3050fps is Hornady's factory numbers based on their 24" test barrel. My Kimber Mountain Ascent is a 22" barrel and I haven't chrono'd it yet with that ammo. Good idea to do that before this season, just for understanding actual fps, but obviously can assume it was less than 3050.

Cheers

I
Good question. The 3050fps is Hornady's factory numbers based on their 24" test barrel. My Kimber Mountain Ascent is a 22" barrel and I haven't chrono'd it yet with that ammo. Good idea to do that before this season, just for understanding actual fps, but obviously can assume it was less than 3050.

Cheers
I tried that same load in my kimber montana and it didn't shoot as well as the outfitter load so I went with the outfitter load even though I have to give up some velocity. This is good real world experience. I appreciate it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back