6.5 CM Question

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am looking to start hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor more, I make trips out west every year to go hunt, as I live in Arkansas. My main out west gun, is a .300 PRC. With that being said, I am trying to figure out what grain to use. I am going to be buying Berger ammo for this rifle, since I have had great success with Berger in the past. They offer the 6.5 CM in 130, 140, and finally in 156 grain. I was wanting to use this rifle for smaller game, such as Javelina and Pronghorn, but I have been told that the 6.5 CM is a bit to big for Javelina. Anyway, with the fact that I already have a big caliber in a .300 PRC, what grain would you recommend for my 6.5 CM? Thank you for all info and knowledge!

Last edited:
120-130 gr seems to be the balance depending on what you want. Hammers I'd probably go with 110gr

I think the 120CX bullet I'm shooting has enough juice for deer out to 450yards. I want to say that's where velocity is around 200fps

The 135 elite hunter have worked great for me. I also use it as a long range target bullet. I hand load, but Berger does offer it in a factory loading. I have taken deer and antelope from 50 yards to 550 without any issues. I am shooting it at 2,735 fps out of a 24" barrel with a 1:7 twist.

Yes, I have and they shot well for me, but the Bergers shot better so that I where I have landed. I am using it this particular rifle on deer and antelope and for that applications within 600 yards just about any bullet meets the criteria. Many folks like the ELD-X and the Hammer bullets as well. All the options that have been presented I think will meet your needs. It may be a matter of determining what your gun likes best, and your picking a bullet with the performance characteristics within the shot distances you plan to hunt.

Yes, I have and they shot well for me, but the Bergers shot better so that I where I have landed. I am using it this particular rifle on deer and antelope and for that applications within 600 yards just about any bullet meets the criteria. Many folks like the ELD-X and the Hammer bullets as well. All the options that have been presented I think will meet your needs. It may be a matter of determining what your gun likes best, and your picking a bullet with the performance characteristics within the shot distances you plan to hunt.
Thank you for the info! Completely agree regarding finding what my rifle likes best! Thanks again!!

Berger ammunition in the 135 classic hunter or 140 Elite hunter would be excellent choices. 130 hybrid OTM target stuff would probably be good too.

There was some very in depth testing by PRB on factory (mostly match) ammo. Berger took the top 2 spots. Federal premium loaded with the 130 OTM is probably a good option too if you come across it. The federal should have large rifle primers rather than small rifle primers (like berger) which is attractive to me for hunting cold weather.

Berger ammunition in the 135 classic hunter or 140 Elite hunter would be excellent choices. 130 hybrid OTM target stuff would probably be good too.

There was some very in depth testing by PRB on factory (mostly match) ammo. Berger took the top 2 spots. Federal premium loaded with the 130 OTM is probably a good option too if you come across it. The federal should have large rifle primers rather than small rifle primers (like berger) which is attractive to me for hunting cold weather.
Thank you for the info!!

Hello,
I am looking to start hunting with a 6.5 Creedmoor more, I make trips out west every year to go hunt, as I live in Arkansas. My main out west gun, is a .300 PRC. With that being said, I am trying to figure out what grain to use. I am going to be buying Berger ammo for this rifle, since I have had great success with Berger in the past. They offer the 6.5 CM in 130, 140, and finally in 156 grain. I was wanting to use this rifle for smaller game, such as Javelina and Pronghorn, but I have been told that the 6.5 CM is a bit to big for Javelina. Anyway, with the fact that I already have a big caliber in a .300 PRC, what grain would you recommend for my 6.5 CM? Thank you for all info and knowledge!
I think it was John Jobson that said, "to much cartridge is when the earth is blackened for 20 mi around".

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back