6.5-300 weatherby mag. Worth it or not?

The 6.5-284 died in F-Class primarily because it lasted for 800-1200rnds and having to re-barrel in the middle of a season, or worse yet, near the end was way too risky
So what’s the popular round (or rounds) in F-class now? And while you’re at it, explain F-class. I’m familiar with and have shot NRA Highpower but have been out of the long range bullseye game for a long time.

So I’m seriously thinking about getting into the 6.5-300 weatherby Magnum.
I am too! After looking at so many antelope out there past 400 yards last week, coupled with walking into Koyoty Sports in Saratoga and seeing a shiny new Mark 5 chambered in 6.5-300, the long-range-laser bug has bitten me too!!

If you keep barrel length the same does velocity scale? I have a .264 win mag with a 24 inch barrel and shooting a 140 grain bullet, I haven't gotten much more than 3050fps, although I've never loaded into the danger zone where I'm noticing pressure signs. If I tossed on a 30 inch barrel, I would likely be able to best 3300fps correct? Similarly, a 6.5-300 with a 36 inch barrel is going to be faster than 3400?

I don't feel like I have a good understanding of how case geometry effects velocity versus pure volume of powder versus barrel length, etc.

Also, in your attachment, those cartridges were tested with different barrel lengths, and at different pressures. If one were handloading up to pressure signs, and then backing off slightly, some of those numbers would increase. The 6.5x55 would increase substantially. If you then tested them all with a 24” barrel, some of those numbers would decrease. If they were all tested at the same pressure and barrel length the differences between the middle and the top would become a lot less significant.

If I can run a 140gr at 3300fps with 51.2gr of powder, is a 26 Nosler worth it? It may actually be to some because I can’t buy my ammo off the shelf, and I’m carrying 2” of extra barrel.

Another observation on the chart is that the 6.5x284 is listed as faster than the 6.5-06, yet commonly published case capacities are identical, the pressure specs are the same, and according to many reports, the 6.5-284 brass usually has slightly less capacity in real life than the 6.5-06. The difference could be different barrel lengths, or simply variation in velocity from barrel to barrel. It’s not uncommon to have two identical barrels of the same length shoot identical loads at two different velocities.

So what’s the popular round (or rounds) in F-class now? And while you’re at it, explain F-class. I’m familiar with and have shot NRA Highpower but have been out of the long range bullseye game for a long time.

I haven’t been active in it myself for 5-6 years, but at that time they had abandoned 6.5-284’s primarily in favor of 284’s and a smattering of other 7mm options. Those who found themselves unhappy with the recoil of 180-190gr bullets switched went to 6BR’s with 105’s, 6.5x47L’s with 140’s, and 6.5x55’s or 6.5x55AI’s with 140’s. The 6.5x55AI could shoot the same accuracy node as the 6.5-284 with dramatically improved barrel life because it only holds 59-60gr of H2O compared to about 65gr in the 6.5-284. It won’t match actual top velocity, but a 6.5-284 with a 30” barrel of common F-Class tapers has a node around 2950-3000fps, so it’s abilty to be run as hot as 3100+ is essentially wasted. The small pocket 6.5CM Lapua brass didn’t exist yet. I’m sure a lot of 6.5x47L shooters likely switched to the CM after that.

F-TR requires a .223 or .308 shot from a bipod weighing under 17ish pounds including the bipod. F-Open allows any non-magnum cartridge, the use of a front rest, and has a 22ish pound weight limit. Because the front rest isn’t attached, it doesn’t count toward the weight limit. They shoot prone and use the a variation of the high power target. The X ring is .5 MOA, and the rest of the rings are identical to the high power target except they are one value lower.

Edit: It’s been longer than I realized since I went to a match. 5-6 years instead of 3-4.

Last edited:
How many guys have burnt out a barrel on a hunting rifle?
Personally I'd much rather have a 26 nosler than a weatherby anything.

Now that I actually have some chrono data from my rig with the 156’s I’d say it might be more worth it to some folks if they wanna go heavy. With 140’s the difference isn’t substantial to me. I ended up at 2977fps! A 6.5-06AI could probably manage 3100fps. I would guess the 6.5-300Wby could be good for up to 3200fps without getting crazy. I could be way off. If it’ll do 3200fps with a 156’s I’d say that it’s probably worth it for more people that I previously thought. With 130’s to 140’s you can get close enough with much smaller cartridges that I don’t thinks it’s particularly worth the downsides.

Back