Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

4th Season Colorado For you? My Unit 444 hunt

EasternWA8989

Hows the 4th Season going for everyone?

I think I wasted my points on 444. Seems like a great unit for the type that likes to be guided. Saw some decent ones on private. Some small sections of BLM along the private, but the deer seem like they probably got pushed off in 2nd season.

Whats most frustrating so far is the amount of hikers and runners around the small amount of accessible Forest Service Land. Lots of Forest but Only a few good ways into the Forest. Seems like most are getting guided on private, but Ive seen 5 deer hunters and they are pretty frustrated too. Saw one small 3x4 the 2nd day. Hoping to find him again for a meat buck on the last day.

It really sucks to wait for 4 years and waste your points. What can you do!

I chatted with a guy on Friday who had a 4th rifle deer tag in 28. Said he hadn't seen anything noteworthy and that he was pulling the plug early. He didn't seem like he had big aspirations to find a monster, just wanted to be out. Not sure how many points that tag takes to draw.

Looks like you can get that unit with 2 points. Couldnt be any worse then 444. Glenwood Springs to Aspen is so insanely populated on every hillside.

I chatted with a guy on Friday who had a 4th rifle deer tag in 28. Said he hadn't seen anything noteworthy and that he was pulling the plug early. He didn't seem like he had big aspirations to find a monster, just wanted to be out. Not sure how many points that tag takes to draw.
I hunted that unit during 4th season this year. It was pretty tough. The bucks were just starting to chase Saturday/Sunday. We found large groups of does without any bucks around. We were scouting the 10th, 11th, and 12th and hunted the whole 5 day season. The biggest ones we could find on public were some 2.5 year old 3x3's. I drew with 2 points, my cousin had 3.

I went with a guy who drew a 4th unit 53 tag and it was tough. Saw little bucks with the does. Saturday and Sunday they finally started bumping does. We heard of a good buck way up high and the rest were on private.

I elk hunted 4th season around Gunnison and saw a several young bucks. I did not see anything that would make me want to burn 20+ points if I’d have had them.

I elk hunted 4th season around Gunnison and saw a several young bucks. I did not see anything that would make me want to burn 20+ points if I’d have had them.

I can't for the life of me understand why someone who is about to burn 20pts on a unit wouldn't go and scout that unit during that season the year before.

I just wish I could've hunted 444 without a runner wheezing and coughing Around the trail with a dog 😠😠

Anyone have pictures?

Gunnison Basin 4th buck. Did not see squat other than does the first few days. It seemed like the moon phase was affecting deer behavior. They were out in the middle of the day and at first light, but we watched many go off to bed within 20 minutes of daylight. The weather warm-up may have also played a role. Areas the had a foot+ of snow in the beginning of November had zero snow 4th season.

IMG_3171-3.JPEG

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back