Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

44 Mag

Gunner46

Ohio requires a straight wall rifle cartridge for deer hunting. Granted that means you can hunt a 100# doe with a 50/100, but all Gods be damned if you use a 30/30, or a 35 Rem ?????

Just so happens I have a Ruger 96, with a 18 1/2" barrel. Good for me. My pig rifle from my Fla. days.

I haven't had much time in the past 4 years to get to shoot it much because I was centered on the 7/08 and the 338 Fed. This year I'm pretty much locked into an Ohio public woods hunt with the 44.

Don't reload for it and won't be able to spend the time to make a dozen trips to the range that's an hour away. I've got White box WIN factory 240's that are giving me about 2" groups @ 100yds. Sure, good enough to put some back straps on the grill, especially considering I'll probably shoot more around 50-75 yds.

Just curious as to what factory ammo has worked well for Y'All.

Love the 44 but handloader here. Look for factory using the Hornady 240gr XTP but at those close ranges, most any decent bullet will do the job.

Seems like a great excuse to buy a 45-70 lever gun haha but in slower straight walled hunting cartridges I have always liked flat metplat hard cast lead bullets. They hit hard and mushroom out nicely especially at lower speeds. That being said some states don't allow them for hunting. For a more modern round I like the leverevolution with the ftx bullets. They work good on deer and hogs.

I used a 44 in Indiana for several years. I tried many types of factory ammo, My Ruger bolt, really likes 240 grain Cor Bon Hunters.

If you aren't going to handload, I'd highly recommend looking at Underwood Ammo and pick one of their varieties that best suites your needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back