Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

410's who shoots them ?

mdcrossbow

I just picked up a Stevens camo single shoot with re-dot and 2 chokes. Ones a TSS. This will be for my granddaughter next season.
I put it up to my shoulder and thought, this feels nice. A lot lighter then the Super Mag 12
and will not reach out and pound a bird at 60+ yards but under 40 I think it would do it's job ?

Attachments

• 20230527_161959.jpg
    20230527_161959.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I picked one up for the same reason you did thinking the recoil would be less harsh on a small shooter. Mine has a youth stock on it and the exposed hammer gave two kids a nice kiss under the eye that bled fairly decent. I doubt you'll have that issue with the full sized stock if the shooter can manage the l.o.p. I switched my kids over to a Mossberg youth 20ga pump and they said the recoil was much less, I'm pretty sure it's the extra weight that made it more comfortable to shoot.

As far as range goes, that barrel on yours is plenty long enough for 40 yard shots with the longer shells

Mine drops off the target before the pattern falls apart. I find careful handloading is critical for optimum performance.

If you tune it up right it's a forty yard gun with a smaller pattern diameter than the bigger guns. The Stevens is heavy enough you could get a 20ga at about the same weight. Load slightly heavier and open the pattern up to make it easier on her to hit her mark.

I throw a .410 under the back seat at the beginning of every turkey season. Many Montana Merriams have met the wrath of 3” #4’s. It will hammer turkeys at 40 yards and that’s with lead and whatever chokes in it, idk but it must be a pretty good pattern cause it dumps em.

I inherited an old Stevens pump .410 from my wife’s great-uncle. At the time it was the only shotgun I had and that’s what I started hunting doves with. Once I got bigger shotguns I put a peep receiver sight on the .410 and converted it to a slug gun for public hunting on areas where centerfire rifles are prohibited.

I shoot training birds for my dog's generally with one of my 28's but every now and then I use the 410. Till I got the second 28, my backup gun bird hunting was that 410!

Those little guns are great. A good friend of mine purchased one for his daughter and she has laid some turkeys down with the tss loads.

I have a couple .410's but my favorite is my Mossberg 500 pump. I got it for my son who is now 10 to shoot but I have killed some turkeys with it my self. This year I took my 13-year-old nephew hunting. He made a poor shot on a turkey at 26 yards with my 20 guage. He hit the bird in lower body and leg. As the Tom was hobbling away I handed my nephew my .410. He dropped the bird at 51 yards.
Here are some patterns of some handloads using #10 tss with Xtra full turkey choke.
193 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.
114 in a 10" circle at 50 yards.
Screenshot_20230527-213226.pngScreenshot_20230527-213243.png

20230523_053020.jpgLast one of the season that I called in for a buddy which he shot at about 35 yards with my little gun. So far it's been lethal using TSS. It doesn't matter if its my girls, me, or a buddy the end result thus far has been a dead bird. No recoil and easy to pack. The first grouse I ever shot on the wing was with an old bolt action 410. Fun little gage.

I just picked up a Stevens camo single shoot with re-dot and 2 chokes. Ones a TSS. This will be for my granddaughter next season.
I put it up to my shoulder and thought, this feels nice. A lot lighter then the Super Mag 12
and will not reach out and pound a bird at 60+ yards but under 40 I think it would do it's job ?
Love .410s.

Mine is a little older than most, but I got a Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Champion break action .410.

Both pieces of wood are stamped with matching serial number to gun. Serial number has only 4 letters and was told only serial numbers with letters were made from 1940-1950.

Attachments

• IMG-5371.jpg
    IMG-5371.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG-5372.jpg
    IMG-5372.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG-5373.jpg
    IMG-5373.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
I picked one up for the same reason you did thinking the recoil would be less harsh on a small shooter. Mine has a youth stock on it and the exposed hammer gave two kids a nice kiss under the eye that bled fairly decent. I doubt you'll have that issue with the full sized stock if the shooter can manage the l.o.p. I switched my kids over to a Mossberg youth 20ga pump and they said the recoil was much less, I'm pretty sure it's the extra weight that made it more comfortable to shoot.

As far as range goes, that barrel on yours is plenty long enough for 40 yard shots with the longer shells
I believe them! I have a 2 single shot break action 20ga, and a 12ga Mossberg 500. The 500 is way easier on the shoulder. The extra weight and the soft recoil pad really help.

In Canada 410 shells have been really hard to find for awhile I guess. I don’t have one so never pay attention. But the odd place that has a box or two is selling them for 40-50$ a box. Even before they were 20-30. In Sask guys who use 410 use it for ground slapping ruffed grouse. I do the same but I use my pattern master choke in my 12 guage it patterns super tight with my $10 box of 7.5 target loads lol. Beas on top of the head and dead grouse and maybe a pellet or two in the breast if your unlucky

Back