Caribou Gear Tarp

410gr sub x subsonic hunting load, worked.

LostTexican

IMG_1750.jpegGot a chance to get out with the 45-70 and some hand load subsonic rounds tonight. Shot a decent size sow at night with my suppressed trapper and nv rated delta point passively aiming with a pvs14. All legal here on a private farm in south ga. Loaded some 410gr sub x rounds over 12 gr of titegroup and a cci200 in hornady short trimmed brass for their specific projectiles. Shot was from a box blind 102 yards from the edge of some trees. Put the dot on the biggest black body pig and thump, thrashing, dead. Bullet did not exit but killed the pig inside 12 yards. Left good a blood trail too. Farmers neighbor was waiting at the farm house for it so I didn’t get to cut it open and really eyeball the internals. 45-70 subs are tough to beat inside 100 yards in my opinion. Pics or it didn’t happen.

I've been looking at those bullets for a stout loading in my SBL.
I don’t know that I’d load them too hot, they’re designed to expand at such a low velocity I’d be afraid of it shedding the jacket at higher velocities as it exits the muzzle….my favorite anything animal load is a 420gr gas checked lead slug from cast performance around 1200fps.

I don’t know that I’d load them too hot, they’re designed to expand at such a low velocity I’d be afraid of it shedding the jacket at higher velocities as it exits the muzzle….my favorite anything animal load is a 420gr gas checked lead slug from cast performance around 1200fps.
I inquired with Hornady Tech and they indicated they can be shot to 2300 FPS. I used Benchmark and loaded them to 1900+. Between 1850-1900 they are pretty accurate. Kick pretty hard though. YMMV.

I inquired with Hornady Tech and they indicated they can be shot to 2300 FPS. I used Benchmark and loaded them to 1900+. Between 1850-1900 they are pretty accurate. Kick pretty hard though. YMMV.
2300!!!!!! My god. I couldn’t imagine the energy dump it would do inside an animal. Insane. Good to know as well. I also load their 190gr subX 30 cal projo in 300blk

I have some 395 sub-x in a 45 Raptor AR10, Not subsonic either. Either one should be a good close range woods gun. They did cause me to buy a Past recoil pad for range work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back