Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

40 gr V-Maxs and Ballistic Tips

Calif. Hunter

I have loaded up a bunch of Ballistic Tips for the ground squirrels that may threaten us during the upcoming hog hunt. The funny thing (at least to me) thing is that the Ballistic Tips and V-Maxs shoot to almost the same point of impact and approximately the same size groups at 100 yards with the same charge of powder (27 gr of H-335.) I expected more difference since the BTs are more of a boattail bullet than the V-Max. I did not see any real measurable difference in effect on sage rats, either. (One small one was literally blown into pieces by a V-Max. :eek: ) A happy coincidence, I guess.

When I get a chance, I'll try them on paper at longer ranges - I'll expect to see more difference then.

I tried more or less the same thing but with 50 grain bullets with like results. At extended ranges I would think the Nosler would really show it's merit with a higher BC.
The wind was a 10-15mph cross and the bench I was on was a wee bit on the shaky side.
My rifle has always shot ballistic tips well but wanted to give the V-Maxes a try. It never hurts to try something new.

;) AA ;)
50grgroups.jpg

I may be wrong, but if the range is under 200 yards the flat base will shoot better groups, the BT "wrobble", what ever, until they get over 200 yards, then they "kick-in"
please correct me if I have stated this wrong? :confused:

Back