358 Norma Magnum

Wally Dog

Ok all, barrell is broken in on the blundebust, now I need some pet load info.
Advise if'n you have ideas.
Thanks
WD

Wally, as soon as I get home and get access to my red book, I'll post some loads for you. That is a great round for heavy work.

:cool:

thanks Danr,
My guru friend here in town has some I'll get tonight but more is better.
I have found a few that use Norma 203 & 204 powder, have you any knowledge bout it? Thanks again.
WD

Yep, as far as i know, it' been out of production for about 25 years. I just sold the last two pounds of 204 that I had. I have some loads using modern powders that will work quite nicely.

Wally, Here are some of the loads that I've had success with:

225 gr. Nosler Partition 71.5 gr. IMR 4350 FED 215 primer with Norma cases

250 gr. Nosler Partition 67.3 gr. RL 19 FED 215 primer Norma cases

250 gr. Nosler Partition 57.8 gr. IMR 4320 WIN LRM primer Norma cases

In all loads the cases were sized and then trimmed to 2.510. The primer flash holes were trimmed and uniformed. For some reason, these cases seemed to have more burrs around the flash hole than most Norma Cases.

As usual, some of these loads approach maximum. Reduce the load by 15% and work up to max in 1/2 grain increments. If you use any of these, let me know how they work.

Danr,
Thanks much, I'll bring the loads I picked up at my friends house and fire them to you.
I did notice on my new brass the ragged looking flash holes on my factory new Norma brass. I measured 2.508 on new brass...... and no stretch at all after first firing. 2.510?
By the way if you need any loading data for a .240 PSP my friend has it.....
Don't you love those acronyms.
thanks again,
WD

todays load test photos

358group082005001.jpg

358group082005002.jpg

100 yard groups from bench this morning. No wind. Group 2 is also 250 gr Nosler partitions
It appears it'll work.
Chronograph next......estimating around 2650-2700 fps

Fine groups from a very interesting and capable cartridge....How's the recoil from that rig..?? From the loads, it would seem that would be similar to a .338 Winny...

Thanks Pygmy,
The best recoil comparison is my 300 H&H. Significant but not sharp. I actually shot 5 different loads of 3....and didn't get the "yips" at all.
WD

It works just fine on wapiti cows.................!
Even recovered a bullet trophy.
Meat in the freezer.
WD

Back