Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1800 FPS and 1250 FT-LBS is what I believe Big Fin states as his reasonable limit, and what I choose to use. For a factory 165 Nosler Accubond at whatever conditions they test at then your max effective range would be right around 550 yards. Most elk hunts will occur at higher altitudes so you’re likely to get a little more range than that. Like Topgun says, that’s farther than most people should be shooting at live animals.

my son shoots a 308, there is plenty of range with it. however, as with all calibers, we should be shooting where we are comfortable. we try to keep our shots at 300 or less.

1800 FPS and 1250 FT-LBS is what I believe Big Fin states as his reasonable limit, and what I choose to use. For a factory 165 Nosler Accubond at whatever conditions they test at then your max effective range would be right around 550 yards. Most elk hunts will occur at higher altitudes so you’re likely to get a little more range than that. Like Topgun says, that’s farther than most people should be shooting at live animals.

I don't know what Nosler's load is, but my load is doing 2790fps at the muzzle with 165gr sierra game kings. At 450yds its moving at 1865fps for 1274ft lbs. That being said, I would put 350-400yds for max range as far as ballistic energy goes. Imo 1200ft lbs is not enough grunt for something as tough as an elk.

In my opinion, around 300-400 yards is the max range to ethically shoot at an elk with a .308. Can they be killed from much farther distances with a .308? Of course they can and are, but are those shots high percentage shots and ethical for a .308? Certainly not!

Other factors that could reduce the ethical range include wind drift (would make a poorly placed shot more probable), how the animal is quartered, inappropriate bullets, and poor marksmanship.

I believe the main thing is to shoot frequently, know the capability of yourself/the rifle/the bullet, and establish an ethical max range before the hunt and hold true to it. And remember, the best hunter is the one who can get the closest shot not the one who can make the longest one.

I've noticed Big Fin seems to get this question quite often during Elk Talk Live. Unfortunately, there just isn't a perfect answer.

"Further than I want to shoot." My human frailties as a marksman factor in long before the capacity of the cartridge.

I don’t worry to much about energy numbers just as long as the bullet has enough velocity to expand. You will run out of velocity that the bullet is designed to expand at before you run out of enough energy majority of the time. 357 with 180 grain bullet has like 600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. An elk isn’t shrugging that off

Thanks so much for all your imput. I'm going to keep my shots at 300 and under.

I don’t worry to much about energy numbers just as long as the bullet has enough velocity to expand. You will run out of velocity that the bullet is designed to expand at before you run out of enough energy majority of the time. 357 with 180 grain bullet has like 600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. An elk isn’t shrugging that off

You better go back to the drawing board with your 357 and 600 ft/lb statement, as that energy at the muzzle doesn't produce diddly at any distance to be hunting elk with it.

Back