308 Antelope Loads

HighDesertSage

Any reason to think that the .308 165 Gr Accubond is to heavy for lopes? The trophy grade ammo shoots lights out in the 308, and I want to use this load for Mule deer and elk this fall, but I didn't know if I should consider going to a lighter load for antelope. Any experience with this?

If your rifle likes that bullet and shoots it well, I would not change a single thing. It will work very well for antelope. Those Accubonds expand very nicely and hold together well.

David

Personally, I think it's a little heavy, but only in terms of its trajectory. I prefer something a little lighter for Antelope, that flies faster, and has a flatter trajectory. My thoughts have nothing to do with the bullets terminal ballistics, as NoWiser said very well, the lopes will not know the difference.

200 grainers out of a RUM aren't too heavy. 165's will work great. mtmuley

I was just thinking I shot one with a 295gr powerbelt pushed with 120gr of powder last year and my shooting partner killed one a couple years ago with a 300gr bullet out of one of his 338 lapuas. 165gr will be just fine.

The weight only affects the trajectory and that is only past 300 yards. With heavier bullets, the ability of the bullet to expand is more important. The ab will do just fine as long as it shoots well. Just know where the gun shoots at farther ranges and you are set. Good choice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back