Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

300wtb mag

ELKCHSR

I've been thinking of going 'yote hunting with my 300 weatherby mag. I shot an elk with it this last season with a light bullet. It didn't cause very much damage in the elk, actually way less than I figured it should. I don't have relode capabilities yet. So I will be relieing on manufactured loads. I can keep 2 1/2 inch groups out at 300 yds and if raised up 21 inches I can still drop what ever I aim at out to five hundred yards. I haven't worked the gun to any thing farther than five hundred yards. I can keep it inside of a small paper plate at that distance. Does any one else have any other recomendations on size of bullet or any thing? I still want to shoot this gun. So won't be buying any others....

ElkChsr.. I use a 180 grain bullet in my 300 win mags in both the 40xb and ruger #1. reason is for me they give my best accuracy... I can also shoot them on slightly windy days and hit my target unlike my .243 at extream range..

Delw

In all my guns once I find a perfect load thats all I use.. I never change again until I get a new gun or switch the barrels.. I use 180 grain Balistic tips out of the above mentioned guns. Both for elk deer coyotes or jackrabbits..

Delw

Yea!!!
It may be a little light for elk. I had a perfect side shot at thirty yards. I couldn't figure out how I had put the bullet into any part of his stomach. But the mess was there to prove it when I started to clean him. There also was no exite wound. When I started to process him up since I do it myself. I found the bullet lodged into his rear quarter. The bullet had hit a rib and ricoched threw his guts and into his hind quarter. I thought a gun that big from that close should have had enough power to go right thru any thing it hit... All well I still got him and he had only made it fifty yards. That was the other thing. It took awhile for him to die. With what should have been a double lung shot. He shouldn't have lived long at all...This was the first time in about fifteen years since I had rifle hunted. Everything has been with a bow....

I had a bunch of handloads that came with the gun. I couldn't keep them insid of a basketball at three hundred yards. Unacceptable in my book. The shells keep cracking or breaking in half when I shoot them and were very inconsistant at the farther shots. To answer your question. I used Weatherby shells. I went with the lighter ones because I wanted a flatter shot at the longer distances. I hadn't hunted with a rifle for big game in fifteen or so years. I've been using a bow for all of this time. So I just went with the same co. that manufactured the gun. Seemed a safe bet...

I think Weatherby ammo used to be loaded by Norma, and later was loaded with Hornady bullets. That'd probably be okay at longer ranges, but at 30 yards with the 150 gr (?) bullet I'd expect the bullet to fall apart. Now the Weatherby ammo is available with Partitions, Barnes, etc.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back