Caribou Gear Tarp

3006 and moose

Preacher shaner

I am planning on a NF moose hunt in a couple of years and I am going to get a load worked up. Would the 180 Etip in 06 be ok or go with a heavier acubonds.

Shot a few moose with 06, 180gr. Half drop on the spot, other half I'd blood track. Sometimes quite away. Love 300 win mag. They don't move far.

Will be good just need a bullet that penetrates. Moose are big but not tough. You’ll hit them and they will just stand there or slowly walk away so keep shooting

I feel your 180 gr. E-tip will work well for you. They sure hold together and penetrate nicely. I would feel completely comfortable. Nothing wrong with a 180 gr. Accubond or Partition either. If the E-tip shoots good just use it. Enjoy your hunt and hope you get a nice moose.

Many moose have been killed by a 180gr 30-06. Moose seem to either fall over or don't seem to realize they've been shot.

You wouldn’t even have to use a fancy 180 bullets in a 30-06. A standard cup and core would penetrate just fine cause a 30-06 isn’t pushing a 180 screaming fast by any means

Thanks y'all. I just seen shooers pro has the 180 ETip on sale is why I was asking. I run the PT 165 In it for everything. But moose are a little on the large side. So I will pick up some of the ETips

My dad killed his this past fall with 180 grain partitions from a 308...i am sure your 06 will be fine.

Interesting thing for me. I have killed 3 moose, all with my bow. I have called two others for buddys, one was killed with a bow and the an 06 plus i been with my father for his two moose hunts, 7mmRM and 308win.
Funny thing is in that small sample size all the rifle killed bulls have traveled farther post shot after being shot the bow kill shot moose. Just something i found interesting

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back