MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.300 Wby Mag Loads for Elk

JB1113

Been toying with my Wby. I have an elk/mule deer combo hunt coming up in late October in the Scapegoat of Montana. Looking for a good 180 grn load. I haven't settled on a bullet yet. Was thinking Hornady SST but not sure if it will break a shoulder if I need it too? I'd like to see 3100 F.P.S. Any Ideas ?

I guess I should have been more clear. It is a .300 Wby Mag Lazer Mark with 26" bbl. I know it's a bit on the heavy side for deer but am only allowed to take one rifle so it will have to work.

With that much power, you had better stay with a premium bullet. An SST is a weakly constructed bullet that works OK for deer, but I would not bet an expensive elk hunt on it. I had a 165 grain dynamite on a white tail doe with a lung shot. IT was out of a .308 at 2650 fps.

For that rifle, I would probably try a Barnes, but any of the bullets that you push through that had better be premium, or you could have problems. A top-dog rifle needs a top-dog bullet.

I've use 180 Accubonds in mine for elk. They work just fine.

This year, I'm stepping up to the 200 grainers tho...

DON'T use an SST! You're asking for trouble if you do IMO

I also use accubonds and have taken elk and deer with no problems. Partitions will also get the job done. The Barnes tsx is a deadly chunk of copper too

I have been shooting my 300 Wby mag accumark for six years now and my killing load is a Barnes 180 grain ttsx packed with 80 grains of hodgen powder. This bullet flies and drops game in their tracks. I also have placed 7 shots at 200 yards in a 1/2 inch group. I will not shoot a different bullet now, I also tried hornady and nosler prior to the barnes.

Also, if I may add the barnes bullet turns the insides to jello and kills on contact as long as you do your part. The bullet is made to cause small holes, entry and exit, therefore even on the deer it doesn't ruin meat. I have shot elk, deer, and bear with this rifle/load.

As has been pointed out, that is a heavy rifle for a mule deer hunt in mountainous country. My load is 80 grs. of H-4831 behind a 180-gr. Nosler Partition in the .300 Wby. You can count on the Partition to do the job!

Partitions - either 180 or 200. I use 180's in my WSM and have used them in various won mags, and a saum. They work great.

My hunting buddy has a 300 Wby that loves the 180 partition Weatherby factory loads. I said we should try and duplicate that load and save him from the $90/box cost. I was surprised to find that the load that seems to have done the trick is with RL19. Even the slowest other powders would not go over 3100 and frankly none were sub moa. This load is ~.8moa, but I think it's because there is no way to enjoy shooting that gun. Shoots that at 3190fps.

My hunting buddy has a 300 Wby that loves the 180 partition Weatherby factory loads. I said we should try and duplicate that load and save him from the $90/box cost. I was surprised to find that the load that seems to have done the trick is with RL19. Even the slowest other powders would not go over 3100 and frankly none were sub moa. This load is ~.8moa, but I think it's because there is no way to enjoy shooting that gun. Shoots that at 3190fps.

Did you try IMR 7828? That has been the fastest 300 WBY powder I've found for 180 gr bullets.

Did you try IMR 7828? That has been the fastest 300 WBY powder I've found for 180 gr bullets.

Not sure if we did at the time. Tried Retumbo and H1000 fromt the slower end of the spectrum, but may have only had IMR4831 at the time. I will check that out, but for what ever reason, his 26" Mark V liked that R19 for some reason and got the speed. I just wish it didn't kick so damn much on the bench....

Been toying with my Wby. I have an elk/mule deer combo hunt coming up in late October in the Scapegoat of Montana. Looking for a good 180 grn load. I haven't settled on a bullet yet. Was thinking Hornady SST but not sure if it will break a shoulder if I need it too? I'd like to see 3100 F.P.S. Any Ideas ?

What outfit you hunting with? Just curious

Answer

I am going to be hunting with Mills Wilderness Adventures out of Augusta Montana. I am very excited about the hunt. All references were A+ positive. Although most of their hunters seem to be older gentleman who are more excited in the adventure than the hunt. It is going to be late season in the Montana Wilderness, We shall see. This is only my second outfitted hunt for elk and my Third all time.

I am going to be hunting with Mills Wilderness Adventures out of Augusta Montana. I am very excited about the hunt. All references were A+ positive. Although most of their hunters seem to be older gentleman who are more excited in the adventure than the hunt. It is going to be late season in the Montana Wilderness, We shall see. This is only my second outfitted hunt for elk and my Third all time.

You're gonna have a good time with Tucker and Amy!!! I went with them to Cliff Creek last fall in early Sept. Have already booked for 2013 White River in middle October. Couldn't make it this year. The wrangler Ray will talk your ear off and you won't go hungry thats for sure. Went with 3 other folks I didn't know last year and we had such a good time that we decided to meet again next year. Don't know who the guides will be with you but can tell you if you get the chance to ask for Sid. Very quiet guy until you get to know him a bit but one heck of a guide. Any questions you can PM me if you want. Guess I'm one of the older gentleman, (57)

Make sure you stop at Chubby's in Augusta for a sandwich. Damn dude I envy you and can't wait to go back.

Thats great to hear!

I would love the oppurtunity to speak with you at length about them. I will P.M. my phone number. I work nights 5p-3a CST so anythime after lunch is good.

Questions for previous MWA Customers

Hey guys I was curious about bears up in the area where Mills operates. I'm thinking about purchasing a bear tag and trying to make this a three specie hunt. Did either of you guys come across black bear on the trip? If so how many times during the hunt? I would appreciate any tips or advice you could offer.

Back