30 inches or 350 points?

elkfarmer

things that make you go umm..

you walk into a clearing and to your amazement, on the one side of the clearing there is a big heavy beamed 30 inch muley, and to complicate matters on the other side there standing with some cows is a 350 point bull. with a tag for each which one do you pull the trigger on?

i would take the muley, how about you guys..

I would take the muley if he was heavy beamed as you say. Both would be awesome trophies, but I would think the odds are better that I would have an opportunity at a 350 B&C bull before the type muley you describe.

I would stand there in indecision till they both walked away

Id take the mulie, bigger elk are becoming more common and a 30 inch mulie is a rare occasion.

------------------
Kirkl's Hunting Page
Kirkl's Fishing Page

deer8.gif

HEHE, I have one of each. I would take which ever one tripped my trigger best.
cool.gif

View

View

This is an exercise in how to post pictures, not a bragging exercise. That will come later. HEHE Thanks for you patience.
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

All things equal IE distance open shot Help I don't know. If I have both taggs I may get gready and figure which will give me the most time for the second shot. I have the muley but not that big of elk. Who's there to pack him out? Help I still do not know. Are you trying to drive me nuts or some thing olefish

I love big muleys and one that size would be my best ever. Would have to be the muley and hope for the bull another day.
smile.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

I think for me it would depend a lot more than just spread. Last season I had my daughter pass on a couple of bucks that were in that 30" outside range with cheaters.
To me I would rather take a deep forked buck with lots of mass, than a deer that has a couple of cheaters that take him to the magical 30"
Now if the buck elkfarmer is talking about had deep forks, heavey mass, and a honest 30" inside spread. Hell I would give up elk hunting for the whole year or more, to shoot that buck. Ron

wow, seems to me just about everyone is choosing the muley. in one post is stated that 350 point bulls are more common than a 30 in. muley. that may as well be, so what would it take for you guys to say he11 with that deer the elk is all mine? mabey a 400 point bull?

I probably would shoot the bull if it was 390 or better, but its hard to say for sure sitting here behind this desk. I probably would just fall apart.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
and blow the whole deal with 2 large trophies to choose from. Tough one.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

WHoa.....wait a minute. I thought we were talking about 30 inch inside spread. If we are talking outside spread, then the ELk goes first. 27 inch inside muleys aren't that special. 350 bulls are kind of special and theres more meat there. Take the bull and hope for the buck.
cool.gif

------------------

I still want both I'm just that way. The elk first, truely big bulls I hardly ever see when I have the gun in my hand, just my luck I guess. Now I have seen a few 180++ deer and 3 last fall. 2 were 200 yards across the fence were we could not shoot and and 1 I watched for 15 min with my hand cannon at 450 yards. I had 3 other hunters but none I could get to without scaring him off. Were they 30s inside, I am not sure but 2 of them had lots of mass and 1 of those had at least 9 points on one side and close to the same on the other. We watched him till dark, sky lined, he was what dreams are made of. I would have to see a very good elk to not shoot him first. I like those cactus bucks. olefish

danr55, a 27" inside is not that special??? Man there are many bucks in the BC record book with a lot less spread than that. Ron

I know that Ron, but there is a lot more to making B&C than just inside spread. A friend has a deer from Kaibab with a 43 inch inside spread. But that's all there is. Two main beams that are massive and grow straight out from the sides of it's head. At the end is a big cluster of points that are roughly shaped like a typical four point with forks that are less the 4 inches deep. The extreme spread from inside to inside is 43 3/8 inches. But the rascal only grosses about 165 and nets around 140. It's really too bad that there isn't a scoring system that just looks at inside spread and antler wieght or something. This guy would be a book head without a problem.
cool.gif

------------------

I would let them both go it just was not my day and come back tomarrow to see witch one was going to be their then I would shot the one that was their

second thought I would flip a coin tosee witch one to shot

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 03-24-2001).]

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back