LoveBirdDogs

Been trying to get my dad's 30.06 sportarized 1903 Springfield up to par, but I give up. Just can't seem to do much about the trigger pull weight. 4.7 lbs and a little soft and stiff on the way to get there. Was going to replace the trigger but have decided not to do that. Since I reload 30.06 and I have enough ammo to last me for some time. I decided to order a Winchester M70 in 30.06. It won't get here soon enough.

1596731604569.png

I have a 1903 built by Paul Jaeger in 1945. The trigger in it is the standard two stage military trigger worked over and is the best trigger I ever used. Lot of take up but I get the impression it simply loads your finger. Lot's of over travel but them it hard tojerk too. how heavy is the let off? Never tested it and doesn't really matter. Well had to go look. 3# of take up and 2# more to let off. Best trigger I ever used!

I have a 1903 built by Paul Jaeger in 1945. The trigger in it is the standard two stage military trigger worked over and is the best trigger I ever used. Lot of take up but I get the impression it simply loads your finger. Lot's of over travel but them it hard tojerk too. how heavy is the let off? Never tested it and doesn't really matter. Well had to go look. 3# of take up and 2# more to let off. Best trigger I ever used!
Yea the trigger is a hard pull at the end. It makes accuracy a little tough.

I love a 2-stage trigger. I’ve started putting 2-stage Jewel triggers on Rem 700 hunting rigs, and recently built a Mauser that I just left the original trigger on. There does tend to be some variation and I haven’t shot an ‘03-A3 in a long time, but the 2-stage military triggers are actually quite good.

Been trying to get my dad's 30.06 sportarized 1903 Springfield up to par, but I give up. Just can't seem to do much about the trigger pull weight. 4.7 lbs and a little soft and stiff on the way to get there. Was going to replace the trigger but have decided not to do that. Since I reload 30.06 and I have enough ammo to last me for some time. I decided to order a Winchester M70 in 30.06. It won't get here soon enough.

View attachment 149403
Let us know how it shoots. Been admiring that maple.

I have a sporterized 03A3. Many years ago my gunsmith...a retired USMC Gunnery Sergeant...did a trigger job on it and it was absolutely awesome after that. In fact, my wife decided that rifle was hers based on trigger pull alone.

I bought a Remington Model 700 CDL a couple years ago and the trigger pull is smooth for me. No hard pull at the end of the squeeze at all. I shoot 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and I have had some of the tightest groups I ever shoot with any 30-06. Plus because I don't flinch I can see the bullet hole appear on the target through the scope which means I will see whatever I shoot hunting fall. Flinching was a major problem of mind with my 300 Win Ultra Mag. Going to buy a 7mm Mag soon to use for longer range shots.

I got the new rifle scoped and took it to the range today. Can't believe the difference in the trigger. Its nice to have a trigger that you can squeeze and not have to jerk on it. She is sighted in, went through break in. It was nice to have the range all to my self. I was originally going to use levels to mount the scope but someone in the forums mentioned using a plumb bob. I actually do cant the gun slightly, so plumb bob was the way to go.

1598568768923.png

Last edited:
I've been shooting my Grandpa's 1903 since I was a kid, and then recently shot my FIL's 300 Weatherby that had the trigger set at 2 something pounds, was not used to that! I talked to a smith about the trigger and he said the same thing about 2 stage military trigger, and thought I shouldn't mess with it since I'm used to it anyways. He said 4 something pounds for it too, but it pulls smooth the whole way. Shooting the 300 now though I have to remember how different the triggers are for shot process.

I was originally going to use levels to mount the scope but someone in the forums mentioned using a plumb bob. I actually do cant the gun slightly, so plumb bob was the way to go.

How do you make sure the gun is level to match the leveled scope? I use plumb bobs for the scope, but still use bubble levels for the rifle.

PS gorgeous rifle. Always wanted an '03.

Last edited:
How do you make sure the gun is level to match the leveled scope? I use plumb bobs for the scope, but still use bubble levels for the rifle.

PS gorgeous rifle. Always wanted an '03.

All my current rifles have sites that were mounted using levels. The cross hairs all slant to the left for me. This is the first rifle that the cross hairs are level for me.

All my current rifles have sites that were mounted using levels. The cross hairs all slant to the left for me. This is the first rifle that the cross hairs are level for me.
God made me out of spare parts some parts don't match so I am crooked . And I do have a bubble mounted on the scope that matches the cross hairs.

I got the new rifle scoped and took it to the range today. Can't believe the difference in the trigger. Its nice to have a trigger that you can squeeze and not have to jerk on it. She is sighted in, went through break in. It was nice to have the range all to my self. I was originally going to use levels to mount the scope but someone in the forums mentioned using a plumb bob. I actually do cant the gun slightly, so plumb bob was the way to go.

View attachment 152019

Why would you have to jerk on it?

Nice looking Winchester with the maple stock. I drooled on one here where I live. Just beautiful.. Since you now have another 30-06 to fix your issue I'd have a good gunsmith install a new trigger on the Springfield and set it at 2.5 - 3 pounds.

Last edited:
That's a beauty! Would love a tiger maple -06,seen a few.
I would drop a Timney in that baby....

Nice looking Winchester with the maple stock. I drooled on one here where I live. Just beautiful.. Since you now have another 30-06 to fix your issue I'd have a good gunsmith install a new trigger on the Springfield and set it at 2.5 - 3 pounds.
I have thought about it but when I hear that the wood will have to be cut to make room for a new trigger it makes me cringe. I would have to find a good smith I trusted. The last experience I had with a gun smith was bad.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back