2nd fuel tank sat empty…next steps?

Sagebrush1

Hello,

My son just bought a ‘94 f-250. It’s a really clean truck, and runs well. $175k miles. 7.5L gas motor. My question is in regards to the fuel tanks.

The previous owner said he hasn’t used the rear tank for “a few years”. It is empty- I assume for years also.

What are my concerns in regards to condensation, rust, gunk, etc.? What are the best next steps?

Thank you,
Jim

I would put about 5 gallons in it and disconnect the fuel line before the filter and cycle the pump to make sure it works. The tanks are galvanized I believe so there shouldn’t be too much corrosion. I’d be more concerned of contamination and condensation. If you feel ambitious you could remove it and inspect it then steam wash it or replace it. A new tank from LMC Truck is like $120.00 plus shipping.

I would put about 5 gallons in it and disconnect the fuel line before the filter and cycle the pump to make sure it works. The tanks are galvanized I believe so there shouldn’t be too much corrosion. I’d be more concerned of contamination and condensation. If you feel ambitious you could remove it and inspect it then steam wash it or replace it. A new tank from LMC Truck is like $120.00 plus shipping.
Thank you that’s good info.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back