.257 Wby Mag?

I love mine in a Remington 700 cdl. I handloaded rl-22(72 grains) with 100 gr ttsx. I don't have a chronograph, but other guys who shoot the same exact load claim 3700 fps. I cant verify that, but its damn fast. It clobbers deer and antelope. Sighted in 3" high at 100 puts its about 3" low at 400.

I love mine in a Remington 700 cdl. I handloaded rl-22(72 grains) with 100 gr ttsx. I don't have a chronograph, but other guys who shoot the same exact load claim 3700 fps. I cant verify that, but its damn fast. It clobbers deer and antelope. Sighted in 3" high at 100 puts its about 3" low at 400.
Nosler shows a max load of 71g rl22 and a vel of 3574 fps with their 100g bullets. Nosler data is generally pretty optimistic. You are at a top end load for sure since the Barnes will create pressure faster than conventional lead core bullets.

Steve

Nosler shows a max load of 71g rl22 and a vel of 3574 fps with their 100g bullets. Nosler data is generally pretty optimistic. You are at a top end load for sure since the Barnes will create pressure faster than conventional lead core bullets.

Steve
Yeah, like i mentioned, I don't know how accurate these claims are. I've never used a chronograph. This is easily my favorite hunting rifle. I wouldn't get one without reloading though. Their ammo is crazy expensive.

Well I finally got it all put together tonight. Weatherby Vanguard, stainless fluted, Warne 0 MOA rail, Leupold PRW2 rings, Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 scope.

I will most likely sight it in with Weatherby 100gr ttsx for this season. I don’t have time to work up loads this year.

I can’t wait to shoot it!

Just picked up a couple boxes of ammo off SWFA, some 90gr Hornady GMXs and 110gr Accubonds on sale. Gonna get out this weekend I hope and see how they group vs the 100gr spire points I've been shooting

110’s gonna hit hard.

I'm really hoping so, they grouped better at 68gr powder charge vs a couple higher ones I tried, all were within Nosler load recommendations. I bought some factory Nosler Custom in 110 accubond and chrono'd them, they only were about 3150-3200, no where near the 3400 advertised.

I'm really hoping so, they grouped better at 68gr powder charge vs a couple higher ones I tried, all were within Nosler load recommendations. I bought some factory Nosler Custom in 110 accubond and chrono'd them, they only were about 3150-3200, no where near the 3400 advertised.

They hit hard my 257 with 110 hasn't had anything take a step if that after impact.

In my opinion, 257wby is the ideal medium game hunting cartridge. Elk, moose, barbary sheep, deer, pigs, and many others have fallen like the lights were shut off by my cheap but trusty 257wby vanguard. I've killed dozens of critters with the old barrel and it's time for a new one. As soon as I get home from this work trip I'll be building a fast twist 257wby and finding loads with the 128 hammer hunter and the blackjack 131 ACE. I can't wait to see what those bullets will do out of a 1:7 twist barrel around 3200-3300fps... Maybe even faster.

Last edited:
In my opinion, 257wby is the ideal medium game hunting cartridge. Elk, moose, barbary sheep, deer, pigs, and many others have fallen like the lights were shut off by my cheap but trusty 257wby vanguard. I've killed dozens of critters with the old barrel and it's time for a new one. As soon as I get home from this work trip I'll be building a fast twist 257wby and finding loads with the 128 hammer hunter and the blackjack 131 ACE. I can't wait to see what those bullets will do out of a 1:7 twist barrel around 3200-3300fps... Maybe even faster.
We run the 128g Hammer Hunter in our 7" twist 257 wby at 3244 fps with imr7828ssc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back